Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-14-2011, 10:00 PM   #1 
Dozzem

Question Hey Guys, I Need Advice Please!

Okay, I will make it simple as I can sence I have a few things going on. I hope this is the right thread, I think so :D

The Fish:
Ula:
My first is my white and black marble male I named Ula. I got him with a bit of suprize when my mom let me have him. I got a .8 cube and when I fond the site I changed everything, now he is in a nice 5gal glass tank with plants and a cave he doesn't use. He is now... a tail biter, he wasn't before. I just put some AQ in there but it dosen't help all that much. He is also UBER agressive. Can I fix his tail up?
New Boy (unamed): I went to a reptile store for a cute 'rainbow' betta I have been looking at for a while, he wasn't there. Instead I got a little little VT boy. The people on the site said he was only 3mouths old! I am fatting him up and he is gaining color nicly. I will put him in my 2.5 soon (he is in my .8 as a QT)

I want a planted heaven~: I am wanting my 3gallon to be a heavy planted tank with shrimp! I haven't found any good plants or shrimp so far thats not online.

Me: I am still in high school and I don't (and can't) have a job. I do this thing when I really like something (like collecting rocks) for a few months, maybe even a year. Then I just lose interest... I don't know why. I can never learn enouf of something but its the oddest thing... Also I am always stressed with my family and self-made problems. Right now I think I have moved to bettas and all type of fish. I'm really scared for myself, I don't want to lose interest!! i love it! I want to grow up and breed, have a fish or maybe a fish store, but I may just not like it any more when I get old enof to ... Arg I am freaking retarded...

Then a Petco trip: I went to Petco to see what they have there because my mom wants to stock our 10gal. I looked at the bettas of course! There was a VERY nice copper delta boy, when I looked closer he was pin-coning bad, and hed fungus on his face... I knew I couldn't save him. I looked and came close to tears at the other sick babies... Then, behind a few others, I saw her. A wonderful, healthy, cute and clamed to be a VT girl, she was a white and blue marble. I picked up my cup and I fell in love. She was great. Very active and trying to kill me <3 If I could bread Ula and her would make cute, crazy marbles. I didn't know if I can get keep her so healthy, I have a one gallon and the 3gallon I want to have for the plants. I went home without her... My mom keeps telling me we can go back tomarrow, I think she wants me to have her. Could I take care of a crazy tail bitter, a sick baby, and a female? Should I try?

I know I can do it, but I'm not sure I should. Maybe I should wait on the shrimp tank Well thanks for reading!
Dozzem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #2 
Loralyn94

I think you might be trying to tackle to many things if your going to try the shrimp tank and another new betta. You could always get the other betta (as long as you think you can devote enough time to it and not lax on water changes or anything) and then wait on the shrimp/planted tank. You said you havent found any good plants yet except online, well waiting may give you more time to look for them and better plan that tank out.

You said is trying to take care of a sick betta, a tail biter, and a female to much... Well not necessarily. The tail biters are just a pain, add AQ salt to prevent infection and help healing and try to limit any stress there might be on the fish, like excess light other males close by, etc. Also try giving it things to play with like bottle caps, mirror for a ew minutes a day, and ping pong balls.

The female shouldnt be any harder than a male, just keep good on regular water changes, feed her, and watch for any problems.

As for the sick one, are you saying the new unnamed one you already have or the copper one that was pineconing at the pet store? It depends how sick and what the fish is sick with as to how much time and how hard it will be to bring them back to health.

Sorry if i rambled haha, but hope I helped or something! And remember, only take on what you can handle because there will always be another pretty betta out there and there will always be another really sick one that you want to save, trying to help/have them all may not end well. :)
Loralyn94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:38 PM   #3 
Dozzem

:D Its all good, Thanks I guess I can wait on the shrimp tank. The sick betta I have is a baby VT, the pinconing one I knew wasn't savable... poor guy, he would of made a great breeder to someone or just a nice pet -sigh- My tail bitter dosen't play with toys... I tryed differnt color caps, a rubber duck, floating caves, little planstic figurs. The only thing he dose much with is the mirror and food on a string (Witch is SO funny!) He isn't flaring, witch is really surprizing, at the little boy i have, but I can always put somthing betwen them and I am making a backgroung for his tank.

I know all to well that that tying to save the ones in need don't offten end well... I really like her! Oh and sence I like ,but not going to soon, breed things. could I bread a VT and a HM? I never heard of it.
Old 09-14-2011, 10:42 PM   #4 
Loralyn94

As far as breeding questions go, Im at a loss. I've never bred bettas (though my sister did growing up), but if you go to the breeding part of this sight there are several stickies that are really informative and give a lot of good information on it. Theres one with a bunch of questions to ask yourself before you start breeding and its fantastic!

Just wondering, but whats wrong with the VT?
Old 09-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #5 
Dozzem

Thanks I should look at that for sure.

He is SUPPER skinny D: When I got him he had stress strips and was in an extermy dirty cup. I am feeding him a pellat 3x a day, he is getting a ton better. I was affrad he wouldn't make it, but here he is! He is also around 3 months old? Some people told me on the form. He is very cute!

A little after I got him home, any name ideas? http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1315778620
Old 09-14-2011, 10:52 PM   #6 
Aquarianblue

If you have any questions, period about breeding. feel free to PM me. As for taking care of all these fish, let me try to help.

Plants: My petco has them. you might try looking there. My bettas are happier for them.

the flaring of your boy. Some bettas are just tail biters. if he won't play with toys/cave/chill for nothing, it can be just an annoying thing. just keep him for getting infections, and when he ages, he may slow down.

As for adopting sick fish, I never did it. no matter how much my heart cried out, because when you fail, it's very disheartening, and can lead to a loss of interest out of sadness. Just sayin.
Aquarianblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 10:55 PM   #7 
Loralyn94

Oh wow, he is really skinny. You said one pellet three times a day? Denpending on how well he's tolerating that you might be able to up it to more than one. Both my guys get feed 3 pellets twice a day and then fast one o two days on the weekend. SO far they've had no problems this way.

What brand food are you feeding them? and have you tried providing a variety? Like fresh or frozen brine shrimp and things like that?
Old 09-14-2011, 11:00 PM   #8 
Dozzem

Thx blue, I might pm u :D I looked at my Petco, there plants where dying and expensive. I hope he (and my cat lol) chills out with age! I also can't stand seeing anything like that, sick and alone... One day we all we be, not fun. I hope people learn. arg

Well I have dried bloodworms, mysis, and daphnia on hand. I don't think he ate the daphnia I gave him. I have Hikari Betta Bio-Gold food, Ula loves them! I only feed the boy one at a time because he can't get it in his mouth! I crush it of course but I don't want to over feed.

Last edited by Dozzem; 09-14-2011 at 11:05 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:10 PM   #9 
Loralyn94

ah, okay. Hikari betta gold is really good, my guys LOVE it! He must be tiny if he cant fit them in, its hard to tell from a picture without size comparison ahaha. Then you seem to be doing good taking care of them so far. I've never tried dyphnia or mysis, but they might be good.

As for freeze dried blood worms, only allow them to a have a few as like a weekly treat, otherwise they can cause issues with bloat. Some suggest soaking them in water first to help with this, I never have, but just gave like three to my fish and then let him fast the next day and he never had an issue.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:16 PM   #10 
Dozzem

Cool, I don't feed it like normal food. Only when they are being cute! Oh, here is a pic of my babe looking at my finger :D http://www.bettafish.com/attachment....1&d=1315778672