Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #1 
SchBetta5123

Exclamation Betta face seems to be eroding.

Hello.

Just checked on my Female Betta's. I noticed that one had clear scales that appeared to be shedding, with a closer look it seemed her face was almost rotting. I took a video of it. It's shaky though, only had one hand available. Had to trap her in the net as nudge her around a bit to get a good angle.

Ammonia-0
Nitrites-0
NitrAtes-20ppm

For stocking, please see my signature.
Tank has been set up for a while, no aggression. So I doubt she got into a fight. No new additions either.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/laurena...in/photostream

Please help me.
Thanks.
SchBetta5123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:58 AM   #2 
SchBetta5123

Bump?
Old 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #3 
SchBetta5123

Come on guys, please :/
Old 07-08-2011, 02:06 PM   #4 
Punki

Sorry, ive read but watching the video i cant make out any problems, hoping someone can help soon *bump*
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:08 PM   #5 
Punki

Actually you could qt her and do an aquarium salt treatment to be safe, in case its fungal or bacterial, or at least keep her away from the other girls while shes having problems if you havent already.
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

I couldn't tell much by the video...can you post a still shot of the affected area....

I will assume this is the 55gal...correct....
How much and how often are the water changes, water temp, filtration, live plants, additives used, appetite, how long have you had her and has she ever been sick and/or treated-if so, details.....any other signs/symptoms....

As Punki recommended....I would get her in a small QT until we can figure out what is going on....if this is an open gaping wound-I would go ahead and get her started on high dose of aquarium salt 3tsp/gal, low water temp 75-76F for now......usually sudden open wounds when not injury related can be linked to Flecibacter columnaris and usually fatal within 12-24h unless it is the slow moving type and that can be treated with high doses of sodium chloride....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:03 PM   #7 
SchBetta5123

I do not have a QT tank right now. Used it as a HM Betta tank.
It was an impulse to buy him >:(
Just found this :/

Housing
What size is your tank? - 55 gallon
What temperature is your tank? - 80*F
Does your tank have a filter? - Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? - At night I use one.
Is your tank heated? - Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? - 10 platies, 6 snails, and 6 Cories

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? - Blood worms, Brine shrimp, and Glass worms every day. Throw in a pellets at least once a week. Pea's once a week also. Fast on Sunday.
How often do you feed your betta fish? - Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Usually 25% every Monday. Changing it, but been debating on what I should do. I am 90% sure I am going to start doing 10% changes 3 times a week :/
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25%, but switching to 10% 3 times a week
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? I use Stress Coat.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:0
Nitrite:0
Nitrate:25
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? - Wound in front of gill.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? - More 'mellow' and hangs around by the back of the tank often.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? - Yesterday
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? - Not yet :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No.
How old is your fish (approximately)? - I am guessing 1 yr. Have had her for a month and a half. She was 1 inch when I got her, she is now around 2 inches.

I have a 2.5 gallon aquarium that is laying around. Not filtered or heated though. Will this do for a while?
Old 07-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

Anything will work for a QT-it doesn't have to be a tank per se...the cup that some Bettas are sold in work great for a QT container....small, confined, barebottom, easily attached and floated in a heated tank...great for observation and for the needed water changes when you need to treat.....however, she needs lower water temp at this stage..if its not flex it soon could be since this bacteria is always in the tank waiting for the right conditions to infect.....

If this is an open wound you really need to get her out of the display tank...if for anything... stress....sick/injured fish can be ganged up on and killed...not to mention if it is contagious......the added stress sets her up for more problems in general......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:24 PM   #9 
SchBetta5123

OK. Removing her now.