Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 10:02 PM   #1 
Shimizoki

Shimizoki's Alpha Betta

Hi everyone I'm Shimizoki, I live in Florida and am currently growing Carnivorus Plants and will start growing triops soon. I love bettas, however have never actually raised one.

I pulled an old 30+ gallon tank out of my spare room and decided to load it up with fish. I have been looking around in a few pet stores and found the betta that was calling to me. I named him Alpha, I'm sure most of you guys did the same thing. My tank is not completely set up yet (should be this weekend) but I bought him anyways (my house is still better than the store). Currently he is living in one of the .5gal Betta keepers.

I have read most of the stickies and am trying to do everything correctly. My tap water comes up out of the well, there are some minerals in it, but we add no chlorine and it travels through very little amount of pipes so there shouldn't be any copper. We don't have trouble using tap water for out other tanks.

Either way, here is alpha:

Sorry the lighting is bad, its night here and I read flash is no good. I'll try to get a better picture in the morning.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #2 
Shimizoki

Sorry for the double post, I can't get up a better picture till later this afternoon since my father stole the camera. (Its his... I guess I stole it initially, but he stole it back)

I read the sticky in the compatibility thread found here:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47837

I was wondering what fish make good tank mates with Bettas? I was looking in our local pet shop and found tons that looked really neat. I found out the water temps they prefer and the size they get, but nothing if they play nice. I also don't know the pH they prefer. I was thinking though if I kept it at around 79-80 degrees I could keep most of those temperature wise. Anyone have any thoughts? I would appreciate it. (Not limited to just these fish)

List:
spotted puffer fish (78-82, 6")
black ghost (76-82, 12")
spotted pictus catfish (75-80, 6")
elephant nose (73-82, 9")
platy (76-79, 1-2")
crab (*, 1")
crawfish (65-80*, 4")
betta (78-82, 3")
Triops (60-78*, 3")

*temps vary by variety
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 AM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Hi, Shimizoki, welcome to the world of bettas you're gonna love it! It's true what you say, most of us pick up these guys because they call to us XD That's how I managed to get 8 of them lol!
Your boy is very handsome :) Is he a steel blue?
Some of the fish that you have picked get very big, they may overcrowd a 30 gallon quite easily at their full grown size. Overcrowding can lead to unhealthy conditions for your fish. So you'll have to think about which of these you want.. Another problem will be aggression.
Puffer fish are very aggressive fish as are the black ghost, they are known to eat smaller fish once they grow bigger and may nip betta fins. Platies are fine and since they reproduce constantly, your betta will have some fry as snacks as well.
The catfish seem fine as well but you will need more than 3 for them to be happy and any fish small enough for their mouths will get eaten but they're otherwise peaceful. I have no idea about the triops (although they sound cool), crawfish or elephant nose fish, I've never seen one around here.
I hope I helped a little, you can always have a separate community tank and get a 2.5 gallon for your betta, he'll probably be happier alone . :) Most people have neons or cloud minnows with bettas in community tanks but if your betta is too aggressive he may kill/ harass them. The trick is to avoid nipping, aggressive fish and bright fish with flowy fins...
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM   #4 
Shimizoki

Thanks for the info, Alpha is some weird colors. He has a dark blue (very dark) face, his body is a metallic steel blue, he has red front fins/belly/little in the tail.

I wrote that my tank is 30+, but I took measurements and I think its actually 45. 3'x1'x2'. (lwh)

I knew about the tetras, thats why I didn't mention them in my list. I was hoping for a few larger fish, or lots of smaller fish that would fill up the whole tank. it just seems so empty.

Ive seen that snails are fine, what about Plecos or other algae eaters?

Looking closer at Alpha now that its day I see he has a few injuries. one of those red dangly thingies is almost broken in half, and his right side flipper/fin thing is a bit torn. Is there anything I should do for healing purposes? or will he fix himself over the next few weeks?

I've read that they get 3", but how do you measure that? From nose to tip of the tail mine is like 1.5 inches. do you measure just body length?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:37 AM   #5 
fightergirl2710

His colouration seems to be like my Sterling, he's a doubletail though.
Yes, it is 45 gallons but all your fish put together would be 42 inches, its a bit close but then its upto you.. Personally I like smaller schooling fish like the neon tetras (they can get an inch long), especially if you have a planted tank, they look very pretty moving around. In the end it is what you would enjoy looking at everyday and as long as the fish are peaceful, any fish will do. With bettas it is very tricky. If you decide to put many different fish with your betta you need to give him some hiding places.. He will mostly remain alone and would want his own territory within the tank. Make sure he is not getting picked on by other fish. In big community tanks bettas tend to become docile and timid.. Algae eaters should be fine, people like cory cats and otos with bettas but the more than 3 rule applies for cories (not sure about the otos).
Are there any sharp plants or anything that he must be snagging his fins on in the tank? Or do the edges look dark or bloody? If they do it maybe finrot, that can be cured by adding aq salt to the tank (1tsp to a gallon) fo five days. If the rot doesn't go away, make it 5 more days but no more than that. Salt can cause kidney damage after that time. You can add salt for five days to heal if they are injuries and just to keep infection at bay, give him lots of high protein foods like bloodworms to help fins regrow :).
I think it's from mouth to where the tail starts, I could be wrong..
Old 07-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #6 
Shimizoki

Alright, so I think I'll stick with these for fish:

1 betta
3+ catfish
handfull of:
platys
neons

If I find something is getting eaten... then it was just snack food this time. If I am having issues with my betta being bullied or bullying I will make the DIY divider i've seen mentioned and give him a corner of the tank. 6"x6"x24" should make him happy, I could put a second male next to him. (theoretically they shouldnt see eachother.) What do you think? I dont mind lots of little fish... as long as the tank looks used.

As for the fish health:
Nothing sharp, no blood anywhere. I want to say it was a previous injury if thats the case. If its fin rot then we might have a problem. I'll see if we have any AQ salt and try to help the little guy out. Do I add the salt every day for 5 days? or once and let it stew for 5 days?
Old 07-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #7 
fightergirl2710

That sounds like a plan! Don't forget to put up pics once your tank is done. If you could increase the size of that corner length/width wise though, it would be better because bettas prefer horizontal space to vertical space, they usually go to the top to breathe and like hanging around there. Believe me, it is an eighty percent cahnce you will get another betta, it is invitable now that you have one :D!
If the edges are darker than usual or melty looking it is possibly fin rot but if it's an injury, with the protein foods it'll heal up in a week or so. You have to change the water completely everyday, for five days and not leave it to stew for 5 lol! Every time you add new water, take a cup of it and salt according to the size of the tank and dissolve it then put the mix in all the water and mix again. Make sure the salt is dissolved completely. Then making sure the temp is the same as the previous water, put the fish in.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM   #8 
Shimizoki

hmmm, so if thats the case Maybe I can divide up my tank so that they have a .5'x1'x1' at the surface, that way I can do 2 of them and have a cubic foot devoted to my betas... that should be 3.5 gallons each. it will also create a gap underneath that the other fish can swim in. I'll have to toy with it a bit.

What would you do as a substrate? Crushed Coral or Pebbles? I have both currently.

I'll defiantly get some pictures up. It will be a few days I imagine before its up and running.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:15 PM   #9 
fightergirl2710

I don't usually use substrate in my betta tanks because of the cleaning pain but my sorority and molly tanks have pebbles, they seem to work fine..
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM   #10 
bettafish15

Dont add crushed coral, that will skyrocket your PH. Theres no need to change your PH for fish, they adapt if you carefully intoduce them into the new water. Just use the pebbles :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote