Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 11:44 AM   #21 
fightergirl2710

Initially, because your tap water probably has no ammonia, it will take a while for ammonia from the fish waste to build... I say wait for 4-5 days and then start checking... I can't really say how long it will take though :( Oh, and the live plants help keep ammonia down too so don't worry too much, just keep checking the levels..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #22 
Shimizoki

Yea, My tap water comes up from our well... it actually has no chlorine in it either. As far as fish water goes its pretty good.

Thanks, I didn't expect it to take a week to even build, the way the sticky made it sound was that all my fish would be dead the next day if I didn't have the tank cycled yet.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 PM   #23 
Shimizoki

So I was wondering... (I dont plan on doing it yet) What kind of female would you breed with this guy? Would you even breed him? I figured it would come out with some cool colors if I got an orange or yellow female... But I want something that I know I will be able to give to the local pet shops or give to people on here, etc. You know, make sure they have a good home.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #24 
fightergirl2710

I don't know much about breeding. :( But you could go through the betta breeding section if you want, lots of experienced and new breeders there :D
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:42 AM   #25 
Shimizoki

Yea... I was kinda hoping someone other than you would notice my post about this guy ;)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:03 PM   #26 
Pataflafla

Alpha looks practically identical to Ratchet. Is he a crown tail and did you get him from a Walmart? Is he really aggressive? When did you get him?

I'm wondering if they might be from the same or at least a similar spawn.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:11 PM   #27 
Shimizoki

Well I got mine from a wal-mart... yes.
However Alpha was in Florida while you are quite far away. He doesn't seem very aggressive, I have trouble getting him to flare.

I want to breed him as I just learned he is a copper over blue. I believe Indjo advised a female metallic CT with lots of green in her. So if anyone is looking around you should send me one if you have it in your fry... My birthday is coming up, we can call it a present. ;)

Its so weird having someone other than fighter post on this thread ;)
Old 07-12-2011, 09:21 PM   #28 
Pataflafla

Well, it's entirely possible that they were from the same spawn. I'm sure it would be easy to ship them to a fish selling store that ships to other branches. I wouldn't be surprised if Walmart got a shipment and shipped those to other branches.

As far as breeding goes for him, I think a metallic green mix into his colors would be nice. I would breed to another crowntail just for the fact that it would be passed to most of the spawn and those could be given to a local store to sell. Crowntails are popular, just not as much as halfmoons or dragonscale bettas. And if you gave the males away, those would have a better chance of getting into homes. No one seems to like the females too much since they don't have as much finnage and always seem to be duller in color.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:25 PM   #29 
Shimizoki

Those were my exact thoughts on breeding, I mentioned them in an earlier post.

I guess its possible, that just seems like a long way to ship a fish. I would have though the same spawn would go in roughly the same direction.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #30 
Pataflafla

Well, they might have gone to the same shipping center and then got separated since I would think Walmart sort of stores fish until they can fill the space of others.

Bettas can go a while without food, so they're pretty easy shippers, and since they usually aren't well kept by Walmarts, they don't have water changes all too much. I know for sure they can be mailed to a house or business within a few days to maybe a week and be just fine.

The good shippers set up an approximate date for the fish to arrive and make sure someone will be there to take the fish out of the package as soon as possible. That's what good aquabid shippers do.