Here is an awesome link on ick and how to actually kill it. http://www.exoticpetvet.net/aqua/parasites.html
Yes, it's HORRIBLE, but you can get rid of it if you have patience! I have/had it in my 25 gal and none of the meds actually killed it. I tried two different drugs, lost 6 fish and still had it after 2 weeks of dosing. I was so mad!! You'll see by the article that it has a very specific life cycle. All the meds will kill it, but only at certain phases of it's cycle. Depending on what cycle the parasites are in, some of the "bugs" will make it past the med dosing. Also, because it's a parasite, it does not lay dormant. You'll see in the article why most folks think it does lay dormant. With all of this said, I raised my temp and increased the salt. I'll be done at the end of July. I started in mid-June. I also went so far as to buy a cheap hydrometer (salt monitor) to make sure my salt dose was always at a constant level. I haven't lost anymore fish and all the spots are gone. One of my goby's was flashing and panting with tons of spots when I started the salt treatment. It took a few days but now he's feisty again!! So take heart. I hope this article helps. Pitluv's - Im so sorry you lost Carnage. That breaks my heart!! STUPID PARASITE!! I vow to be the Ick Slayer!!