Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 01:26 AM   #11 
MaggieLynn

That article you attached was very helpful. another thing i will be printing off. i might follow the treatment on that. she has calmed down now it seems.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:18 AM   #12 
MaggieLynn

It looks like my whole sorority is getting ick =/ one looks like she has some white specks on her fins but she is mainly white and a blue crown tail looks like she has 3 spots. i think im just going to treat them for ick too.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:58 AM   #13 
flowerslegacy

You will definately have to treat your entire tank, no matter if you see symptoms on all the girls or not. Once the parasite is introduced, it will eventually infect everything. The eggs are now in your rocks, so that's another reason to keep up good water changes. A lot of times your fish will have ich, but you never see it because it's inside the gills. Because it's a waterborne parasite, and because fish breathe through their gills, it's easiest for the bug to attach to inside the gills. This is why you'll see them labor in breathing, but perhaps not see any visual spots. By the time you see spots, the parasite has already been active. So just have patience, increase your temp, increase your salt and pay attention. Once the last spot has disappeared, you'll still need to continue treatment for at least 4 weeks. The higher heat forces the life cycle to run its course quicker so the salt can kill it. Since you have no idea what life cycle process each tiny bug is in, this time frame will allow all of them to bloom, then swim, then die. You'll also learn through time that some strains of ich are salt tolerant, hence the reason why saltwater tanks get ich too. But the odds that your girls have a salt tolerant ich would be very rare.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #14 
Pitluvs

I've actually had many people tell me with experience that salt does not kill the ick, but heals the wounds from where the ich was on the fish. The high temps speed up the cycle. It's the water changes and removing the ich as it comes off the fish that gets rid of it. Must do your water changes on time, or the ich could reattach and your back to square one.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:42 AM   #15 
flowerslegacy

Depending on the salt tolerance of the parasite, you're correct, the salt may not work. However, in true Freshwater Ich, the parasite cannot live in such high salt levels. The other important step is that you have to keep the salt treatment going for weeks. A lot of times folks will see the spots disappear, continue it for a couple of weeks and then stop. Spots come back and our frustration with this gross parasite continues. Usually with bettas, they are more likely to have the true freshwater strain. The article I attached was written by a marine veterinarian and chemist. For all the extensive, long, and hours of research I did, each marine vet reccommended the salt treatment to fully erradicate it in the freshwater strain. They all had ich free tanks for years. Personally it has worked for me in the past and appears to be working again in my 25 gal. But like you said, there are lots of opinions.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:58 AM   #16 
MaggieLynn

Im running to petco and walmart right now. for more QT's. I really dont feel like changing the whole 10 gal cuz its in an akward spot so im just going to clean that whole thing out and treat the girls in one gallons i have a heat lamp they can all go under seeing as i dont have alot of heaters, or money. so far two of my girls arent showing it, only the veil tails are right now. i can keep you guys posted. Off to go get all of walmarts AQ slat >.>