Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #1 
Hisaki Yuki001

Question My new Female Fry found at Petco

Hello. I know I'm new to this Forum but I just got two new Bettas today, the second was unexpected. She was marked as a female Betta, but what threw me off was how tiny she was. She's so small that the cup she was in seemed massive, and when I tried to feed her a half of a soaked pellet, she had trouble with it. Thankfully I replaced it with a pellet hat I had to crush into pieces of almost dust. Anyways, I plan on getting some brine shrimp tomorrow for her from my LFS store that breeds and raises them.

Anyways, are there any other tips anyone can give me about raising her for the next few months. I,ve never had one this small, and I've never raised Betta Fry. She's so young that she has only a hint or two of color. Right now I have her in a 2.5 gallon setup with lid, light, heater set at 78-80F, and a filter of which I slowed down and added a piece of filter sponge on the intake so she wont get sucked into it. The decor includes gravel, a felt plant, and two smooth aquarium decorations. And yes, I know the basics of how to care for Bettas if anyone's wondering. I have 5 other males. Thankyou.

A few pics of her. Sorry about the resolution. YOu can't see it to well, but she's completely see-through. :

Hisaki Yuki001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #2 
Hisaki Yuki001

Bump......
Old 07-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Poor baby! When did they start selling them so young?
You can feed her brine shrimp and have a sponge filter running because without it a layr may form on the water surface making it difficult for her to breathe.. Sorry that's all I know about babies, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help. She looks so sweet, guess you have a little lucky girl now Best of luck!
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:50 PM   #4 
metalbetta

Hi, welcome to the forum!
I've actually done the same thing with a very small fish... She was a little older than the one you've got... Enough to have a little color, but she was so tiny!

Anyway, what you're doing seems fine... I used crushed pellets... As long as she's eating them she should be fine. If you want, you could always order live food. I'm not sure what breeders recommend for fry, so I would check out our Breeding forum to look for anything else you need to know. She's adorable by the way! Best of luck with her! :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:00 AM   #5 
Hisaki Yuki001

Thank you. From the looks of it, it seems she may have gone into stocking by accident. They had a few females that had all their colors, but they were twice her size. Right now I have a HOB filter that has a piece of sponge on the intake so she wont be sucked into it. I also slowed the current on it by placing a piece of plastic on the outtake that ends submersed into the water. The blue you see behind her is a piece of report binder clip attached to it's end so she doesn't slice herself open on the edge of it. It makes it a little bit more turbulent than using a small 3i filter, but not to turbulant to effect her much. Should I add an air filter though?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:30 AM   #6 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
Poor baby! When did they start selling them so young?
You can feed her brine shrimp and have a sponge filter running because without it a layr may form on the water surface making it difficult for her to breathe.. Sorry that's all I know about babies, hopefully someone with more knowledge can help. She looks so sweet, guess you have a little lucky girl now Best of luck!
Thankyou.... ^_^ Yes she is a little lucky girl. Her name's little Bit, the itti bitty Betta. I nicknamed her Itty Bitty.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:32 AM   #7 
metalbetta

CUTE! Mine was named Mew. :)
metalbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:45 AM   #8 
Hisaki Yuki001

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalbetta View Post
CUTE! Mine was named Mew. :)

Lol! That's the name of my mainecoon cat. ^_^
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 AM   #9 
rswfire

I just got my nephew a betta that looks a lot like yours! You can pretty much see right through him, and he's so tiny! I never thought that it might be a fry though... I wonder if it is now?! So if you can basically see through them, I can expect him to have colors soon?
rswfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:12 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

I like the way you name bettas, very to the point :D
Crushed pellets are good too if you can get her to eat them, I give them to my molly fry but I think (I'm not sure), that betta fry grow better on live foods... Also from my experience with juvenile bettas, the little boogers avoid pellets like the plague! But it never hurts to give it a try
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote