Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-07-2011, 11:47 PM   #1 
flowerslegacy

Doubletail Female???

I just purchased this beauty on Aquabid. First let me say that the shipping and arrival was traumatic! You'll see that many scales are missing and I'm dosing with AQ salt. I've waited to post (her?) because she was so stressed out when she arrived. So what do you think? It was listed as a double tail female. I have yet to see a double tail, but I wasn't able to get the best pics of the tail either. With the long flowing fins it looks like a male, but I've seen some females with flowing fins. I've googled like crazy and have yet to figure it out. She/he needs a name but I'm waiting to make sure of the sex. Thanks!
Attached Images

flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 11:58 PM   #2 
Betta Slave

Not a doubletail! DBTs have much longer dorsal fins, and despite the clamp I don't see any trace of a split in the caudal.

Can you see a little white dot on the belly of the fish? Definitely a female, if so. If not, most likely a male.

Edit- I'm not trying to spam up your thread here, but if it helps, here's a pic of a DBT girl. See the long dorsal fin? You can see the eggspot on her belly too, if you look hard... the little white dot poking out.

Last edited by Betta Slave; 07-08-2011 at 12:04 AM.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:23 AM   #3 
flowerslegacy

Thanks Bettaslave. I'm at such a loss about this fish! I didn't even see the tail before I purchased it and I could care less that it wasn't a double-tail. It's just a pretty fish and has a great personality. Now I just need to know what it is! Perhaps I should just name it "Pat" and leave it at that!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 
PitGurl

I know what seller you got that betta from and I noticed many of the fish being sold were not what they said. That is a male Plakat. I'd give negative feedback and report the seller.
PitGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:15 AM   #5 
flowerslegacy

Thank you Pitgurl! We were looking for a female because we have a couple of 10 gals that are divided. We wanted to have a male/female split, just because . . . Guess we'll have a tank with a couple of males! I will definately contact the seller and post feedback appropriately. I appreciate your response!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:25 AM   #6 
Shimizoki

Threaten with bad feedback and maybe you will get a free fish out of it... Thats what I would do.
Either way its a really pretty fish.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:41 PM   #7 
Dragonlady

The fish in question is a singletail doubletail genotype. It is always best to contact the seller first before posting any negative feedback. True halfmoon doubletails seem to always have a 180 degree caudal spread even when not flaring, IME.
Dragonlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #8 
TheBlueBettaFish

Yea, that's definitely not a female. Sorry!
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 
flowerslegacy

Hi Dragonlady, I already contacted the seller and she's *really* nice. I won't be posting any negative feedback. I'm a seller on ebay so I'm very slow to attack folks when genuine mistakes can occur. I'm just a betta lover so I'm not too concerned that it's not a true double tail. A singletail doubletail is actually pretty cool! I looked everywhere on the web and the closest I could get was the Plakat. I even found a Plakat with the same markings! I searched for the doubletail genotype but all the females had shorter tail fins. The seller said she got him from Thailand so I'm sure the originiator stated it was a doubletail. I really cared more about the sex. I wanted a female and it appears to be a male. Good to know about the breed though. Of course I want to know exactly who's swimming around in my livingroom! Either way he's a new addition to our family!
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 PM   #10 
flowerslegacy

Hello everyone,

Wanted to give you all an update. I contacted the seller and received an immediate response. The sellers partner got involved since he's a breeder so he did some research. Evidently this fish orginated in Thailand. He stated it's a Class C, Halfmoon, Dumbo-ear Plakat. To confirm if it was a female, he instructed me to keep her in a seperate tank (vs. my divided 10 gal), turn up the heat to 80 and see if she'll egg up. I googled like a crazy person and also read to increase the protein in the diet for egging. So far nothing. I also googled the breed and the characteristics appear to be correct. Our local LFS happened to have a bunch of Halfmoon Plakats so I got to see one up close too. The males appear to be pretty big and mine isn't that big - more petite. However, I have no idea how old it is. I think it's a male, but I'm giving it my best shot to be sure.