Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 06:51 PM   #11 
flowerslegacy

Here's another photo that I just took. Sorry it's so dark. Not sure why that happened. The top of the tail is missing a chunk, which I assume was lost in the shipping ride. Also, I tried to get a better shot of the "dumbo ears", but she's/he's just too quick.
Attached Images

flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:13 PM   #12 
flowerslegacy

Oh! One more thing! (Sorry for the multiple posts) I can now see an obvious ovipositer, or should I say "white dot". Been told that males can appear to have an ovipositer as well. BTW, male or female, double tail or halfmoon, the seller was extremely responsive, immediate shipping, super friendly.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:18 PM   #13 
Betta Slave

I'm going to say male. If he/she flares really easily, has a really big "beard" (operculum) and is quite aggressive, then I'd say pretty well definitely male.
Betta Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #14 
flowerslegacy

Believe it or not, I have yet to see this fish actually flare. The photo I took was the typical swim . . . stop . . . swim . . . stop. I'm new to bettas, so when I hear the term flare, I think of when they see something threatening, all the fins are on high alert, and the beard comes out in full display. I haven't seen that yet. I even put my double-tail male up to the tank and it didn't even respond. However, my double-tail was doing the shake-dance-beard-I'm gonna hurt you, gig. That's why I'm confused. The finnage has me stumped and the behavior is pretty passive. Very friendly and loves company though. Beautiful boy/girl/fish!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:03 PM   #15 
Sakura8

flowerslegacy, super cute! I know it's been a while, but have you seen "Pat" flare yet? Offhand I'd say it's a male and it's definitely not a doubletail. But who cares, it's soooo pretty! And yeah, some males do get the ovipositors. fightergirl2710 has a male that has an ovipositor. She wasn't sure for a long time what it was, hence his name Tranny.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM   #16 
flowerslegacy

Hi Sakura,
I have yet to see this fish flare - not once. I've tried everything. I even got a new male Crowntail and put their bowls together. Nothing. Although my Crowntail displayed like crazy!! The seller/breeder told me to turn up the heat to 80 to see if she'd egg. So far it looks like she is. I can see the ovipositer really obviously now, whereas in the beginning it was a struggle to see it. The seller also confirmed that it is a halfmoon/dumboear/plakat. They got it from Thailand as a double-tail. So far my daughter has named her "Helen" until we find out anything different. Beautiful fish though! Super friendly. Thanks!
Old 07-22-2011, 07:34 PM   #17 
Sakura8

Helen. Ah, I was wondering who the two new bettas were in your sig. Well, Helen is beautiful. I love the names of your bettas.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #18 
flowerslegacy

Thanks Sakura! I'll share the name creations: 1) Doubletail Male - Cassius Clay aka. Muhammad Ali - "He's so pretty. He floats like a butterfly and stings like a bee" (you should see him attack a worm!) 2) Crowntail Male - Winston Churchill - He looks like a royal british man. 3) Halfmoon Plakat Female - Helen Copperbottom - She's a copper betta so she was named after the mother from the cartoon movie "Robots". 4) Ruby Tuesday - She was cute and red so I created her full name from singing an old 70's song, which is I think is "Sunday Morning??" but I insert "Ruby Tuesday". We're silly around here but we have fun! Did I ever mention that my original little Ruby is a jumper?! I have to keep the water level low or she'll jump right out of the tank! Silly girl.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:33 PM   #19 
Sakura8

Aww, I love hearing the stories about how bettas get their names. So cool. I love that Winston is like dignified Brit. I have a jumper too, she's managed to jump out twice during feeding. The first time, she almost landed in a bowl of catfood. Fortunately she can only jump at mealtimes so I don't worry about her leaping while I'm not around to put her back in.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

He/she is beautiful! It looks like a male to me because the anal fin is so long.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote