Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #1 
KLG1122

Smile Fish traveling from OH to CA

Hello,
I hope this is the right place to post - sorry if it is incorrect. I am new. My husband and I are planning on moving in the next month from Ohio to California. We will be making the long drive in August. We have a dog, cat, and snake also making our trip. Here is where I need advice. We have a 45 gal. fish tank. We love our fish and would like to take them with us. However, if this would kill them then obviously we would find other homes from them. The question is... how do we move them? Is it smart to move them? The drive would like about 4 days to complete. We would have the tank in a moving truck.
Here is what is in our fish tank:
5 angel fish (each one is about the size a bit bigger than a sliver dollar)
2 bolivian ram
1 placco
4 danios
2 gouriami
I know angel fish are very sensitive...
Thank you for any advice. I can also supply more details if needed - I am just not sure what those details would be!
Thank you again!
- Katie
KLG1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:59 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

I have no advice, but I moved 3 hours away with my 29g with silver dollars, pleco and male betta and bagged them all and put them in a rubbermaid large tote. It was cold at the time so we put blankets on the bottom and on top of them. I am unsure with the heat... maybe water in the tote and add ice as needed to make sure the temps never go over 80ish? Hopefully someone will have advice for you! Good luck!

Oh and sidenote, we got a 45 gal long last night! We plan on putting angels in it and bo rams/rainbow fish :) We already have a 6" pleco.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 PM   #3 
laughing

Angel fish are very sensitive, and so are bolivian rams... I love both species, but if it is going to be that long of a trip, it is best to just rehome them. Chances are, they wouldn't survive it.

How big are the gouramis, and what variety are they? They could perhaps make the trip.

The danios will, but if where they are being stored isn't A/Ced, the warmth will knock them out. They're a cold water fish, and need temperatures no more than 78*, and if it is way above that, they'll be goners.

Plecos can be very hardy, and might make it, the biggest thing to worry about is their food source.

You cannot leave them in the tank and move them like that. This is a huge hazard and will end badly. You have to take the tank down, store that into the moving truck, and whichever you choose to keep put into containers and store them somewhere. I'd suggest a styrofoam cooler (minus ice or anything unless it will get very hot wherever they are being safely stored) and seal it up nicely. If they'll be staying in small containers, you must do daily water changes. Therefore, before you move, I highly suggest you acclimate them to the easiest water source available- bottled water. That way you can easily stop anywhere, pour out some of their water, and mix in the bottled water very simply and effectively, without needing to remove and acclimate during the trip.

You have to just consider what is most humane for the fish, and where they will be stored, and if it is even possible in your scenario.

Good luck!
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #4 
KLG1122

We were just storing the tank in the moving truck. Not with the fish :) The fish would ride in the car with us.
Thanks for the advice!! Any would be great!
KLG1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:33 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

My Danios are hardier than the Pleco, they can withstand 86F temps and not even blink. I know this thanks to a malfunctioning heater from WalMart. If they are regular zebra type Danios, they can take a beating.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:45 PM   #6 
laughing

Wow, my danio must be defective! Ha ha! If it gets up to that, he gets sick, and very stressed out...

You will just have to judge on your fish personally, and how hardy they are. If you have hardy angel fish, then get them large containers (even rubber maids work, if they have room!) And bring them along! Or if your rams are unusually hardy, then why not? But if you know your fish are sensitive and get very stressed on the slightest change, or even a moderate change, then just choose for their best interest to rehome them to someone you know is reliable.
laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughing View Post
Wow, my danio must be defective! Ha ha! If it gets up to that, he gets sick, and very stressed out...

You will just have to judge on your fish personally, and how hardy they are. If you have hardy angel fish, then get them large containers (even rubber maids work, if they have room!) And bring them along! Or if your rams are unusually hardy, then why not? But if you know your fish are sensitive and get very stressed on the slightest change, or even a moderate change, then just choose for their best interest to rehome them to someone you know is reliable.
^^ ya, that!