Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 AM   #1 
Landon21
Banned

heres what happened..

a couple week ago i posted about breeding my male plakat with my female veil tale.. i had the setup which ive included a pic of below and everything seemed ready to go. When i released the female she nearly killed my male plakat which is three times her size! he didnt make a nest within the first week and then they were introduced but i just dont see how she could do that to him..

ive been treating him with melafix and aquarium salt and hes eating but torn to shreds.. should i try this female with one of my veil tails? what do you guys think went wrong? and one more quick question i heard freeze dried blood worms work when conditioning bettas, is this true? and can bettas breed at a temp of 78f? thanks for any help!
Landon21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:17 AM   #2 
lunawatsername

im not in any way an expert, but i personally would not try to breed her again. like, ever. if she was that aggressive to him and he was 3 times her size, i dont see it working with anyone else either. then again, im super paranoid so i could be wring.. hope he gets better soon!
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM   #3 
mernincrazy8525

i personally breed my bettas at 81 degrees and I condition them with freeze-dried bloodworms.
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:53 AM   #4 
Landon21
Banned

So your saying i shouldnt try her at all with my other males? maybe it had something with this male being plakat....?
Old 07-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

I often experience a female (regardless of tail type) mistaken PK males as rivals and will fight until the male responds aggressively. Usually you can avoid this by letting the female sense the male's hormones - don't float her in an enclosed jar but an opened lamp chimney(?) thing.

Once BOTH show flirt swimming movements, you can release the female. Otherwise her vibrant colors, trying to break out of the jar, should be interpreted as wanting to fight.

Aggressive females can be breed peacefully/safely (safe for the male ... lol) as long as you can understand her body language. If she is very aggressive, flare her to another female or use mirrors for 15 minutes or more (I usually do it for 30 - 60 minutes). Introduce her to a ready and aggressive male after she had been isolated for a day.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #6 
mernincrazy8525

what i do is get one of the 2 liter soda bottles and cut the bottom off, take the cap of and put the female in there. the hormones can get through but she can't!
mernincrazy8525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #7 
Landon21
Banned

thanks for the tips guys, im going to try her with my male veil tail later this week. shes quite a trip, never seen a female with this attitude lol!
Old 07-16-2011, 10:27 AM   #8 
Landon21
Banned

just giving you guys an update, the male still has little fin but is doing much better. he has a whole ten gallon to him self for recovery, im been treating him with melafix and aquarium salt and keeping him at 80f with a healthy diet. this is my favorite betta, i named him bossie lol cant wait till he gets back to himself.. im going to wait a couple weeks before i try breeding her again..