Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #1 
Kiwimommy

Maybe it's the female that's a problem..

I had my boy Agent with my girl Zephyr for about a WEEK, maybe more.
They never spawned. Bubble nest was built, etc..but they never spawned.
So I removed her after a while, frustrated.
Then I tried him with my girl Lioness..
Either Agent did it, or the female bit off half his tail..
So.. he's out of the breeding for a while now.
So, I gave my boy Copper a try with Zephyr.
He responded amazingly.. He swam around her, showing off, wiggling his fins at her, etc..
And she swam away, checked out his food, looked at his decorations..
Ignored him completely.
I had her in a betta cup in his tank, but she just wanted OUT and he wanted to see her. She wouldn't stop trying to escape, so I just let her out.

I'm wondering if it isn't the boys that are having the problem, but if it's Zephyr?
She's eggy, that's for sure.. seems more than ready, healthy, conditioned..
She's very dark, so I can't see stripes, stress stripes or breeding bars.
I'm at a loss here..
Kiwimommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:20 PM   #2 
plad556

Well they both have to like each other. It took me a couple weeks to find the right pair and if ur female is very dark you will be able to see here breeding bars if they come u becasue they come up white and stress bars give it some time.
And if u put the female in to the males tank he might kill her because that is his territory. You need to have a breeding tank
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:27 PM   #3 
Kiwimommy

I just did a 100% water change and moved the decorations around, so it's not his "territory" as far as he sees.
I just caught him attempting to embrace her, but he couldn't quite figure it out and she got impatient and swam away after a few seconds.
So looks like they may actually spawn!
Old 07-08-2011, 03:10 PM   #4 
plad556

Wooo good luck they will find out how to. I took mine 6 times before eggs drooped
plad556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:00 PM   #5 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Wanting to "breakout" of a jar is not necessarily "ready and willing" to breed. Dark color without bars usually indicate high self esteem - probably wanting to fight. Sometimes when released and senses male's hormones, she will change mood from fighting to spawning. Sometimes it may take a few bites before she submits.

They should do the spawning ritual - flirt swim in an "S" pattern and play "follow the leader". Only then it's safe to let them be though there's a bit of biting now and then - often by the male.

If they're trying to embrace, let them be. They might not get it right at first but eventually they will.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I think if you posted pictures of the two, people would understand. Zephyr is pretty near black right? Good luck, I'll check in with you in a bit!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:49 PM   #7 
Kiwimommy

Yep, Zephyr is almost black, if not actually black, with some color in her fins.
Still not doing anything, but 0 nipping. Copper is a little freaked out by his water change, so he's taking a bit to adjust. Zephyr is just enjoying his tank..

Zephyr;

Copper;
Old 07-08-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I agree with Indjo......give them more time and if after a reasonable amount of time and they don't spawn for you.....I would separate them-neither in the spawning tank and re-condition with live food if you have any...you want to keep them so that they can't see each other or share any common water...mass feed live foods for 3 or so days(if they are already in good breeding condition)...get the spawning tank ready and try again......

When I have hard to spawn breeders-I will do the shock method to jump start them....but live foods massive fed can be a good spawning trigger....instinct tell them when they have lots of good foods it is time to reproduce....

Good luck and keep us posted.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:12 PM   #9 
Kiwimommy

I've been giving them live mosquito larvae for the past few days to get them in condition. They LOVE it. It's hard to pick out just a few larvae, so they do end up getting a generous amount of it.

Once he perks up, I think it will be a successful spawn.
He seems interested and she does as well.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

When I feed mass amounts of mosquito larva I have more problems getting them to stop spawning than starting to spawn...lol....

In my outside setups with all you can eat larva-since I have been stealing their nest so I can artificial hatch the eggs-I will have a new nest of eggs about every 3 days.....

In one of my indoor spawns-I have a sibling pair that I was having problems with and due to the hot weather we are also having limited mosquito this year....so they didn't get the normal larva I usually feed-just my homemade food and that usually works....I really needed a pairing with these guys and it has been a week already...lol....so I started mass feeding larva and within 2 days...nest full of eggs.....

I spawn using a more natural method too....I use 10gal soil based, full to the top with water, no filters, massive live rooted and floating plants, shrimp and snails, tanned with Oak leaf, temp 80F....male uses water lettuce for the nesting site...I am artificially hatching his first nest of eggs so I can get a second spawn from this pair this week.....

When I feed mosquito larva to condition for spawning...I harvest the larva with a brine shrimp net, rinse and place them in fresh dechlorinated water and use an eyedropper to suck them up and feed to the Bettas...I don't count them....I just squirt a bunch in the tank....lol.....but to give a number...I would say 20 or so total for 2 Bettas twice a day....more or less.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote