Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 01:23 PM   #1 
finekettleoffish

New Mom Needs Advice

This is not the first betta I've owned, so I know now these fish need love and special care. My first died when I was on vacation, and there was a blackout during a heatwave. The subletter couldn't rescue poor Clyde.

Hank the Tank lasted for four years before I gave him to a friend who had kept them before, and he lived another two. I was driving to Canada with a U-Haul, and two cats were already a handful. I doubted Henry would make the trip.

I was reluctant to buy another betta, but they had them in the grocery store by the produce in those dirty little cups, and I felt I had to rescue one. Now I've got a beautiful red fish named Raoul, and he's happy in his new home. But I need some advice, because he's even quirkier than my last two bettas.

He is in a classic vase set up, but he has clean water, rocks, some oyster shells and a few bamboo stalks. The rocks are all smooth, and I have them arranged so Raoul can sleep in a little cave or dive down under a tunnel. He is very active and curious, and he has been busy blowing bubble nests. At first, he wouldn't eat, but now he eats his Hikari Bio-Gold pellets. I suspect he has caught some mosquitos, as well.

Eventually I will get him a 1.5 gallon tank. But already, he is catching some kind of fungus. It's very faint, and I hope to nip it in the bud. It looks like salt crystals by his head spreading down his body on one side as a white film. His fins are fine. But I have no idea what this is or how to treat it. Hopefully, one of you will recognize the symptoms and have some experience.

The water I am using is Canadian spring water from Amaranth Township, ON. It has some mineral salts in it already, but I added a small pinch of Eden Sea Salts. It is hand-harvested French Celtic salt from marshes in Brittany. I would imagine it is very good for a fish. His water is 82 degrees. Sometimes when it gets hot, I put an ice cube in a Ziplock bag and float it in his bowl. He loves that and rubs his face against it.

But any advice from you more experienced betta parents would be great! I look forward to meeting you.
finekettleoffish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:46 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Sounds like it might be ick, with the salt crystal look going on. Is it a bunch of white dots everywhere?

If you could get a decent picture, that would help very much with identifying what is wrong.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:05 PM   #3 
finekettleoffish

Unbelievable! The salt made the whiteness go away within hours. I will keep you updated on any changes, but he looks good :)
Old 07-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #4 
Creat

I'm glad its gone away photo's also help :) besides we would love to see him
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:52 PM   #5 
finekettleoffish

Thank you! I tried to upload him as a profile pic, but I think the file was too big. Here he is! Isn't he a cutie?

Old 11-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #6 
finekettleoffish

HELP HE'S TAKEN A TURN FOR THE WORSE!

I bought him a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter and a thermometer. I got a Mardel 5-in-1 test kit, and the water was fine. I vacuumed the gravel twice a week and changed the water periodically. Still his fins kept curling and eroding, and he seemed more lethargic. I thought he was overwhelmed by so much space, but a week later I put him on API fungus cure in a gallon jar. I changed his water three times a week. He was eating fine and blowing bubbles...

Then I had a weekend where I was working doubles, and my husband was caring for him. I would feed him on my way to work in the morning. Then my husband said at the end of the weekend that he was worried about Raoul, who was laying at the bottom of the tank gasping for breath, practically lifeless.

His fins were closed and fraying off. His head has a lot of silver, and his skin is wrinkled. The gills have red streaks. He has lost his equilibrium, and at first he was floating upside down at times. He hasn't eaten in days. He has coughed up some white mucus like stuff. I was really worried when his eyes glazed over.

I switched him back to Poland Spring water and added some aquarium salt and Betta Revive. He has improved since then, swimming up for air, though he was disoriented and clumsy at first. He wags his tail a little when we check on him, and he seems animated when my husband and I are around him. Some of this could have been stress and depression. I don't know how to diagnose this. Is it a bacterial infection? What should I do?
Old 11-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #7 
finekettleoffish

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? yes
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari BioGold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? twice, but he's not eating now

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? every other day 25% weekly full
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Tap Water Conditioner plus aging

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: ?
Nitrite: .5
Nitrate: 15
pH: low
Hardness: very soft
Alkalinity: low

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? gills are inflamed, tail is fraying now disintegrating, silver patches on head
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? darts to top of jar and back down, gasping for air, rapid breathing, lays on bottom, not eating
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Sunday night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? aquarium salt and Betta Revive
Does your fish have any history of being ill? not really, but I thought his fins were fungus, so I cleaned tank thoroughly and medicated him with API Fungus Cure
How old is your fish (approximately)? I bought him in July
Old 11-09-2011, 12:48 PM   #8 
Pataflafla

Only change the water as the medication you're using advises and redose as advised by the medication.

25% every day/other day is quite often and you may have made the water a bit too clean.

I don't know about the silver patches, but I think you are treating correctly for it. You could technically stop the medication after you've done the full course of it and switch to just aquarium salt at 2 tsp/gal unless it's been 10 days on salt already.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 07:45 PM   #9 
finekettleoffish

Thank you for your reply. When he was in his tank, the 25% change was vacuuming his gravel. Then I would top it off and do a full change on the weekend. When I was medicating him, I put him in a gallon jar and changed the water daily. But with API Fungus Cure, they don't tell you how long to continue the treatment. There are no directions online or in the box. So, I kept it up until I saw improvement, but he just got worse and almost died.

I think it might be columnaris, because the fungus medicine didn't work at all. I've read that fin rot is an early symptom of columnaris, and it is often misdiagnosed. His fins started to go as soon as I bought him over the summer, which is why I added to the old post instead of starting a new thread.

The salt -- once again -- seems to be helping. He still hasn't eaten, but he had a big poop today, and it looked normal. He notices when I come in the room and swims to greet me. He is floating a bit more and getting some color back. I'm still worried about him. I will put pics of the silver. It's not fuzzy or slimy, just silver.
Old 11-10-2011, 05:18 PM   #10 
finekettleoffish

Today he is more lively.He tried to eat a few times, but he spit out his pellet. He is still coughing up white stuff and shedding his fins. The extra salt seems to help that process along. Should I try to feed him a pea? How long can he go without eating?