Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 02:42 PM   #1 
Fleetwood

Amanda and Tom Selleck's Mustache

New to this forum. Figured I'd introduce myself. My name is Amanda, and I'm not a stranger to Bettas even though it's been a while since I've had one. Each Betta-aside from Tom Selleck's Mustache here, has been a "rescue". I've gone to stores to just inspect living conditions of all fish, and on more than one occasion have had people hand over their Bettas to me for free, after a bit of a talk to management, of course.
I purchased Tom Selleck's Mustache a few days ago and my friend helped me set up and purchase some things for the tank.
He's a really lovely orange shade Crowntail, and to be honest, due to his coloring I was fairly surprised to find him at Petco of all places.

Photos are on the way fairly soon. I have yet to get a light bulb that is the correct size, and I would like to showcase his color a bit.

Cheers! Looking forward to being a part of this community.
Fleetwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:15 PM   #2 
strangegoose

Im new to bettas. Had Jim 3 months now and i love him so much. Always had and still do fancy goldfish.

Always thought bettas were sad looking things in their little separate tanks ( they dont sell them in cups in the UK) Thoght they just sort of moped around and didnt do much.

That all change when i got Jim. Jim is a red vt.

OMG they are such fun, Jim is so active and inquisative. I now am planing to get another male. I would like a crowntail , if i can find one . The petshops round here only have red or blue vt. I have made the mistake of looking on aquabid !!!!!!

I find myself thinking how many tanks could i cope with lol.
strangegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #3 
Fleetwood

I was browsing Aquabid too, and while they had some beautiful ones due to my current financial situation I just couldn't put down the money. That, and the current climate makes me wary of how the fish would handle shipment. Tom Selleck's Mustache is already building a bubblenest like crazy. I'm careful not to touch bubblenest until I have to cycle/change the water.
Bettas are really fun, and contrary to popular belief actually easier to care for than the goldfish.

They are fun to watch. That's how I view fishtanks in general. They're kind of a means of relaxation for me.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #4 
Fleetwood

Crowntails are my favorite. As I stated I was surprised that they had an orange one at Petco of all places. Typically, when you find one of that coloring at a chain breeders tend to snatch them up. I was really happy. His color is nice and solid and captures light insanely well. Orange bettas are produced by a recessive gene, and unless its selectively bred for it's not a very common color at all. I'm pretty stoked about it. He's really pretty.
He's fairly young too, so if I can keep up the cycling of his tank he should live a long, happy little fish life.
Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

I laughed at the name...I almost named my one fish Tom Selleck because he looked like he had a mustache when I got him..Now he has changed color though and its not so noticeable.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 01:05 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

Hello Fleetwood and welcome to the forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #7 
Fleetwood

Thank you. Hello to you as well, dramaqueen.

I feel like a good "fish mom"-god, that sounds kind of creepy, but anyway...
Lately, Mister Selleck has been wary of me taking the lid off of his tank. He typically hides, and he recognizes me now. From what I understand, Bettas actually can recognize their caregivers.
In order for him to no longer associate the removal of the lid of his tank with possible stresses-he had his first official tank cleaning last Thursday and he's a bit shaken up by it, I've staeted keeping the lid off of the tank for small periods of time (provided there are no cats in the room) before placing it back on.
He no longer hides and he's not hesitant about eating when I place food in the tank. He is actually very curious and seems to be observant, but we're working on "removing lid from tank /= bad" which, so far, seems to be working out quite well.

Tags
crowntail betta, new betta, new member, noob