Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-08-2011, 02:29 PM   #1 
audjree

Smile Question About Water Changes

hello, everyone! (:
let me just give you a little info about my betta, felix.

i got my male betta exactly a week from today (july 1st) and he's doing great. he is currently in a 2.5 gallon tank with some pretty, blue flat bottom marbles for the substrate, three plants, a little cave, and a leaf hammock.

he also has a heater, which actually isn't being used right now, and a thermometer which currently reads 80-82 degrees fahrenheit during the day without the heater on, and 76-78 degrees fahrenheit during nighttime without the heater on.

i have been using this website very often, and it is most helpful! and definitely a lot more accurate and detailed than other websites.

i just have one question. i have seen one thread which said that in 2.5 gallons, water changes should be done once or twice a week and it should be 100% every time. but, in another thread, it said that 100% water changes should never be done unless you are using medications. i'm just a little confused. should i do 50% or 100% water changes?

i plan to do my first water change today, and i was planning on doing 100%, but now i'm not so sure. any advice?

thanks so much! (:

here's a photo of him!

Last edited by audjree; 07-08-2011 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Added picture
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #2 
BetterBetta

I have a 1.5 G, and I do a 50% and a 100% every week. If I were you, I'd do a 50% one week, then 100% the next, but thats just how I'd do it
BetterBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:43 PM   #3 
Shimizoki

I read somewhere you are supposed to leave the tap water out for a day to let it age and the nitrogen leaves it... I don't know if thats accurate or not. If it is it seems you need to also prepare for the water change a day in advance.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #4 
audjree

@BetterBetta hmm, okay, i'll try that out.

@Shimizoki it seems if you do that, then the chlorine, ammonia, and nitrogen will leave it, which is good, but chloramine won't, if you have chloramine in your tap water.

i think it'd be easier to just add betta water conditioner, which is what i did when i brought felix home. but, how would you prepare for a water change a day in advance?
Old 07-08-2011, 02:57 PM   #5 
Littlebittyfish

Does your tank have a filter?
Unfiltered I would do 2 water changes weekly..one 50% and then a 100%.
If your tank is filtered I would do two 50%.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #6 
Tisia

if you have a filter or lots of fast growing stem plants you don't have to do 100% changes, 2 50% changes a week would be fine. if you don't have either, 1 50% and 1 100% every week
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:58 PM   #7 
Tisia

lol, I was a bit slow apparently
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:01 PM   #8 
Shimizoki

Not sure, Theoretically you can keep 2 jugs next to the tank (one full of water and one empty). Then put the empty one in (Removing a gallonish of water) then pour the full one into the tank. (Adding it back). I then refill the empty jug (so it can rest for a day) and dump out the jug full of dirty water.

For you that should net a 40% water change daily. Not sure if its healthy... but its how you could prepare a day in advance.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 03:02 PM   #9 
audjree

no, i don't have a filter. so, both of you would recommend doing 1 50% and 1 100% water changes every week? okay, that seems good.

but, how come i've seen some things online that have said that 100% changes shouldn't really be done since it's stressful on the fish? i even saw it on one of the threads here.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #10 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Not sure, Theoretically you can keep 2 jugs next to the tank (one full of water and one empty). Then put the empty one in (Removing a gallonish of water) then pour the full one into the tank. (Adding it back). I then refill the empty jug (so it can rest for a day) and dump out the jug full of dirty water.

For you that should net a 40% water change daily. Not sure if its healthy... but its how you could prepare a day in advance.
hmm, that sounds interesting. not sure if i would do it, though.

Tags
questions, water changes