Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #1 
Nymmers

Which Plants Should I get?

I am going to buy this package http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...nts&1310604006

I know I'd like some Stargrass and Water Wisteria, but the package comes with 6 other plants, so what else should I get, he has listed my options. lol I need to decide 4 more.
Nymmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #2 
Shimizoki

Ohh that's a toughie, You already chose the 2 that I know about... and I love water wisteria, its got to be my favorite plant in my tank.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:49 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

Depends on your set up and expertise! If you have a plain set up with no co2 or high end lighting I'd avoid anything with color, especially red. I dunno, google each one and see which are to your needs and pleasing to the eye :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:52 PM   #4 
Nymmers

Well lol I plan to do a planted tank with dirt and substrate and some really good lighting it's for a 55G tank and I'm not even sure where to begin on lighting.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:23 PM   #5 
Pitluvs

Oh you're more braver than me lol I plan on doing that with our 45g, and I'm lost on plants! I do plan to buy online, but ours are not as cheap as yours! (5 for $45).
Old 07-13-2011, 02:32 PM   #6 
Nymmers

Aww. If I could ship plants to Canada I'd buy some and send them. lol There is some plants in Canada 5 for 28 right now (dunno about shipping though) As well as a few people that ship worldwide you could check out.

What kind of light would you suggest for a 55G, the lid looks like two 10G lists on the 55 lol. Rather than one big strip, hard to explain.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:33 PM   #7 
Pitluvs

I have no idea :( I have to build a lid for mine, so I'll go with what the DIY projects call for on lids. I don't have a live plant in my house! lol
Old 07-13-2011, 04:11 PM   #8 
TexasCichlid

If you are getting into planted tanks I'd really suggest reading up on PlantedTank.net

I can tell you that if you are planting a 55 gallon, you will definitely need adequate light to penetrate the depth of the water. Personally, I am trying out a smaller tank first to get my feet wet -- pun intended -- with live plants. The entry cost into nano planting is a lot less than fully setting up a 55 when you have not done it before, but the concepts will still be the same.

Last edited by TexasCichlid; 07-13-2011 at 04:13 PM.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #9 
Nymmers

I've already got a couple tanks with plants in them, but nothing this.. serious. lol. And I didn't upgrade lights in the tanks. One the plants haven't done much, the other they've blossomed. Will definitely check out the website though, thank you ^^
Old 07-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #10 
TexasCichlid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymmers View Post
I've already got a couple tanks with plants in them, but nothing this.. serious. lol. And I didn't upgrade lights in the tanks. One the plants haven't done much, the other they've blossomed. Will definitely check out the website though, thank you ^^
A 55 gallon tank will need quite a few WPG to make any plant aside from low light stuff survive. I don't know the water depth of your previous tanks, but 24 inches deep is pretty deep when it comes to stock light strips and adequate light penetrating the water column for plants in or near the substrate to do anything. Mosses tied onto rocks or driftwood might fare a bit better being higher up.

I'd say getting the lighting done right, followed by fert dosage, then CO2 dosage, and finally substrate are the order of importance in planted tanks. Serious planted tanks that is. Substrate really starts to move up in importance when you have substrate planted varieties that need iron. If you are doing a simple planted tank with typical low to medium light varieties, light and ferts are going to be the easiest keys to deal with.
TexasCichlid is offline   Reply With Quote