Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #1 
Wellsville

So disgusted

So I was searching for different decorations for my boyfriend's new tank (I talked him into getting a betta) when I came across theaquablock.com. I wish I knew how to set up a link. Most of you will probably understand why I find this tank so upsetting to look at. The worst part is not even that the tank is so small. The website talks about bettas as if they are ornaments or toys. It even says that the water, .6 of a gallon, only needs to be changed once a month. I sent them an e-mail informing them of some of the proper care of bettas even though I am fairly new to keeping them myself and don't consider myself and expert in any way. However, here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to them because I just could not help myself.

This is the most disgusting thing that I have seen on the market for a betta fish in a long time. While it is true that betta fish live in puddles and rice paddies, it is not true that they are small puddles. In fact, they are just shallow, allowing the betta easy access to fresh air. This ridiculously small "tank" only contains .6 of a US gallon of water on the inside. A betta requires a minimum of 2.5 gallons to thrive. Bettas also need to be kept at above 75 degrees Farhenheit to be kept healthy and to ward off disease. This "tank" does not have the room to fit a heater, even a miniature one into it. Also, I noticed that you suggest that the water only needs to be changed once a month. This is grossly incorrect in the fact that a fish excretes ammonia from its body. The ammonia build up created after a month of not changing the water is toxic to a fish. The water would need to be changed daily or even more to keep the ammonia down to a more proper o PPM or even a .25 PPM. It is unconscionable for a company to market a product for an animal which is more likely to do it harm than good. In addition, even if your tank were a more appropriate, say, gallon and a half, it would still be over priced. Why should I want to pay 30 dollars for your cruel betta death trap when I could very easily go pay 30 dollars for a five gallon aquarium from WalMart which would include a filter, light, food, etc...? In summation, I think you should halt the sale and production of the "Aquablock" and rethink some of the business ethics you should have learned in school. Were you sick that day?
Wellsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #2 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellsville View Post
So I was searching for different decorations for my boyfriend's new tank (I talked him into getting a betta) when I came across theaquablock.com. I wish I knew how to set up a link. Most of you will probably understand why I find this tank so upsetting to look at. The worst part is not even that the tank is so small. The website talks about bettas as if they are ornaments or toys. It even says that the water, .6 of a gallon, only needs to be changed once a month. I sent them an e-mail informing them of some of the proper care of bettas even though I am fairly new to keeping them myself and don't consider myself and expert in any way. However, here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to them because I just could not help myself.

This is the most disgusting thing that I have seen on the market for a betta fish in a long time. While it is true that betta fish live in puddles and rice paddies, it is not true that they are small puddles. In fact, they are just shallow, allowing the betta easy access to fresh air. This ridiculously small "tank" only contains .6 of a US gallon of water on the inside. A betta requires a minimum of 2.5 gallons to thrive. Bettas also need to be kept at above 75 degrees Farhenheit to be kept healthy and to ward off disease. This "tank" does not have the room to fit a heater, even a miniature one into it. Also, I noticed that you suggest that the water only needs to be changed once a month. This is grossly incorrect in the fact that a fish excretes ammonia from its body. The ammonia build up created after a month of not changing the water is toxic to a fish. The water would need to be changed daily or even more to keep the ammonia down to a more proper o PPM or even a .25 PPM. It is unconscionable for a company to market a product for an animal which is more likely to do it harm than good. In addition, even if your tank were a more appropriate, say, gallon and a half, it would still be over priced. Why should I want to pay 30 dollars for your cruel betta death trap when I could very easily go pay 30 dollars for a five gallon aquarium from WalMart which would include a filter, light, food, etc...? In summation, I think you should halt the sale and production of the "Aquablock" and rethink some of the business ethics you should have learned in school. Were you sick that day?
dont worry everyone on this site pretty much knows what the aqua block is there is already a hate thread about it lol. It is pretty disgusting isnt it?
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:45 AM   #3 
Wellsville

Oh, I've seen other hate threads for stupid tanks but I have never seen one for this before. It's just amazing how cruel people are willing to be just to make a buck.
Wellsville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:18 AM   #4 
lunawatsername

i completely agree with you! i think ill write a letter too, maybe if enough people reach them they will change something? i think we should try!

here is the letter i sent

To be completely honest, your product sickens me. The many inaccuracies and flat out lies told to potential betta owners on your site are mind-numbing to say the least. I cannot accept that in all of your designing and testing of this product, that you can possibly believe the things that you have stated here. Do you really believe that a living creature can not only survive, but flourish in its own filth for a full month? These so called 'tanks' of yours cannot be more than half a gallon at the most, and to leave any animal in a space that small for such a long time is guaranteed to have a negative effect on its health. You claim that because they live in rice paddies these terrible little bowls are exactly what they need to make them feel at 'home'. If you had done even the barest hint of research you would know that yes, the wild betta lives in shallow rice paddies. but these paddies are hundreds of miles long, not the size of a mans shoe print, as you claim. You claim that a betta will be perfectly happy in dirty water. Maybe a betta will survive for a while, but so would a human if you gave them nothing to drink but dirty water. But the human, just like the betta, would most likely get sick and die way efore its time, because live animals cannot live with nothing but contaminated water. The only time of the year that a betta lives in anywhere close to the conditions that you describe are during the summer months where there is drought. You fail to mention that these conditions (which are still miles better than your 'tank' provides) kill thousands of bettas because of the loss of habitat, fighting for space, food, and females. And they still have cleaner water than your 'tank' would ever provide. Also on the subject of home, bettas originate in Thailand, a TROPICAL climate. Which means they NEED warmer water to survive. You advertise room temperature being adequate, when in reality a rooms temperature fluctuates to widely to be safe for a betta, and is on average too cold for them anyway. They need a heater to keep their tanks at at least 75 degrees Fahrenheit at all times, and there is no room in your product to place a heater (much less a fish). On the issue of food, what posses you to lead people to believe that one pellet of food a day will be sufficient for a betta? a betta needs a small feeding of 3 or 4 pellets, specifically made for betas, twice daily. And what animal is perfectly okay not being fed for 5 days? Yes, the betta can survive, but its health will be severely affected from malnutrition, just like any other living thing would. A well taken care of betta can live for an average of 4 or 5 years, but in the conditions you outlined, I would be surprised if they lasted the first month at all. You are setting all potential buyers up for failure with your deliberate misguidance. Maybe you do not care for fish, but that does not give you the right to lead others astray. I sincerely hope that you will consider revising your product and the information on your site to more accurately reflect the real needs of the betta, which is a lovely and lively pet when in the right conditions.

wow, i didnt realize it was that long lol hopefully if enough of us chime in they will get the message!
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote