Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 09:45 AM   #1 
PhilipPhish

*fish Vs Sister* Rant

So my stupid sister is all "Fish only have a memory of 3 seconds! Fish are dumb! Blahdy blahdy blah"

So I have to explain to her how smart betta fish are.

My fish Philip, he remembers me, and my mom because we are the ones who have taken care of him. My mom used to feed him sometimes, but she stopped after I got my tank, but Philip still gets really excited when she comes into my room and he blows bubbles at her and everything.

Of course he remembers me, but as some of you might know, my little sister tried to kill him and red (succeeded with red..), so now when she comes into my room, he hides in his plants till she leaves. Then he flares up at her sometimes!

Its just ridiculous. Goldfish are the ones with a 3 sec. memory, and even then that's still a lie!

My grandpa used to have 2 gold fish and they were BFFS! But one died and the one that's left was never the same!

*sigh* people are so obnoxious sometimes. NO ONE UNDERSTANDS!(with the exception of a few)... My mom kinda does, but shes my mom...

My sister wanted to keep a koi fish in a bowl! A BOWL! I shouldn't allow her and her BF to get a fish...they are both horrid fishkeepers and neither of them make me proud.

__________________________________________________ ________
IDK...but let me know your opinions!

: )
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:23 AM   #2 
Tisia

yeah, I believe mythbusters debunked the whole 3 second memory thing.

I think this thread definitely shows they're rather smart and do have a memory as well
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:42 PM   #3 
PhilipPhish

OMG I know right! When she gets home I'm showing her the R2 Fish traiing asap!

Mythbusters is a win! : )
Old 07-09-2011, 02:38 PM   #4 
Luimeril

yeah, Mythbusters disproved the goldfish memory myth. and, bettas have memories way longer, imo. :3 Theo was so easy to train, in fact! he's blind, so he always had trouble finding his pellets, so i trained him to eat out of a floating, plastic ring. he knows that when i remove the divider that acts as a lid to his tank, food will come, and he rushes over to the place where the ring sits. :d i've had him for MONTHS, and he hasn't forgotten that!
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #5 
nel3

sorry to hear about red. what did she do in the end to red? my brother is "a fish is just a fish" person also. he isnt that bad of a potential fish owner but his mentality to take care of fish isnt enough.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #6 
Arashi Takamine

How old is your sister? I mean you said when Red died she had dumped a bunch of toys in the tank and tore him to shreds...If she has a boyfriend then she has to at least be in her teens right? Someone like that has issues. (No offense but I mean if she kills your fish then hits you for yelling at her and says it doesn't matter...Then somethings messed up there.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:37 PM   #7 
PhilipPhish

I have 2 sisters, the little one killed red, but my older sister says fish are dumb and wants to put a koi in a bowl...

Ty is 15 and clearly don't know what shes talking about, and kenzie is 8...8 years old! She acts like shes 4...she was like 7 when she killed red...

Luimeril: aww! that's so cute! I wanna tech my old man fish some tricks like that!

Nel3: She dumped food in Philip and reds tanks, she had toys and stuff in there tanks and she had torn their fins. Though Reds body wasn't there, his fins were... it was so sad! I almost died that day! The only fish in the world that I had ever seen that had such beautiful color, but yeah... We couldn't find his body anywhere in the tank, so I had to clean the bowl... I buried one of his fins in a small jar in my backyard... weird huh...

Anyway...this will be an interesting thing to tell her when she gets home from here moms!
Old 07-09-2011, 07:14 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipPhish View Post
I have 2 sisters, the little one killed red, but my older sister says fish are dumb and wants to put a koi in a bowl...

Ty is 15 and clearly don't know what shes talking about, and kenzie is 8...8 years old! She acts like shes 4...she was like 7 when she killed red...

Luimeril: aww! that's so cute! I wanna tech my old man fish some tricks like that!

Nel3: She dumped food in Philip and reds tanks, she had toys and stuff in there tanks and she had torn their fins. Though Reds body wasn't there, his fins were... it was so sad! I almost died that day! The only fish in the world that I had ever seen that had such beautiful color, but yeah... We couldn't find his body anywhere in the tank, so I had to clean the bowl... I buried one of his fins in a small jar in my backyard... weird huh...

Anyway...this will be an interesting thing to tell her when she gets home from here moms!

wow, thats rather disturbing. sounds like she was jackie the ripper from how red died. i could see that she was rather young when she did it but to be that brutal is a disturbing thing. i though that maybe she just took the fish out of the water or put it in some other place with unfit water. i thought it was just a clueless/uniformed method to take care of a fish that took red out.
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 PM   #9 
limeslide

That's just plain mean. :I

Why the poop did she put toys in your tank? Didn't you tell your mom? She killed a living creature, doesn't she deserve some sort of punishment? Even though fish memory isn't comparable to a human's (Haha, I take that back... sort of... xD), they still know who feeds them, who their enemies are, what food they like best.... they aren't stupid animals... like some people.

Why does your sister tell you this? Does she have no life? "Oh, haha, I'm going to annoy my sister by dishing her fish", why would anyone think that? :I She really has a messed up mind, or something. Doesn't she know fish are live animals, just like her?

Sorry if this offends you but some people are the most nastiest people ever... you should try placing a lock on your lid, maybe your siblings decide to do something to your current fish...

I mean, I fight with my brother a lot because he is obnoxious and annoying, but he knows what being alive is, he respects what I do to make my fish happy and even likes helping me sometimes, seeing what my fish are doing or helping me feed them. At least he has some common sense...
limeslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:47 PM   #10 
Adabell

Your sister's behavior is quite disturbing to me. If she thinks that it's funny to pour objects into an aquarium that doesn't belong to her and that it's funny to kill a living creature that can feel just like a human then she needs to have a serious talk with someone. At that age it's disturbing that she's so brutal.
Adabell is offline   Reply With Quote