I posted a thread titled, "Question About Water Changes" yesterday, and i was confused on whether i should do 50% or 100% water changes.
i read more than a few times that 100% water changes shouldn't be done unless you're using medications because it is stressful, but i also read that many people do it around once a week and their fish are fine.
so, with that and people giving me advice, i decided to do my first water change with 100%. i just got felix a week ago, he was very handsome, had pretty colors, and loved to swim around and eat, though i only fed him four pellets a day.
so, what i did was scoop felix up out of his tank with the cup he came in, pour the water out, pour the gravel into a sink, which i cleaned beforehand with no soap, took out the plants and caved, then rinsed the tank and gravel.
then, i put back the gravel, plants, and cave. poured back water slowly, made sure the temperature was right, added water conditioner, then after a few minutes, i bobbed and acclimated him like when i got him.
the only thing i did different was instead of using a net to transfer him into the tank, i used the cup in which he came in from the store.
at first he didn't want to swim back out, but then he did. after that, all he did was hide in his cave. he came back out to swim a few times, but i noticed his swimming was different. i left him alone for about 4 or 5 hours, then went to check up on him.
i shook his little container that held food because he usually starts to swim real happily, but he was still hiding in his cave, and when he saw it, he started jerking around, unsure of what to do. eventually, he came up to the surface, with his strange swimming, and i gave him one pellet.
then, he went back to his cave. a few hours later, at night, i saw that he was sleeping up on his leaf hammock near the surface, which i thought was good sign because that's what he usually did.
this morning i woke up and checked on him. i didn't see him, so i suspected he was hiding in his cave. after about 15 minutes, i didn't even see him move in his cave and i was wondering if he even went up for air. so, then i realized he wasn't even in his cave, but behind lying behind his cave, dead. ):
but why did this happen? ): i loved this little guy so much. he was so happy, and he loved to swim around, and i know he didn't trust me fully, but he was beginning to. i only had him for one week. i even cried just 10 minutes before i started writing this. ):
did i do something wrong? or was he just stressed out too much from the water change? how come some fish are fine with 100% water changes and some aren't? would he not have died if it was only 50%?
i'm sorry if this is too much. i'm just really sad. ):
also, another question. when you get a new betta, should you do another 100% water change before you put them in?