Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #11 
AngelicScars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post
When 100% water changes are completed properly....the fish WILL NOT die.....when a fish dies during a 100% water changes it is generally due to hobbyist error...not the water change itself........
+1
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:43 AM   #12 
Tisia

Quote:
When 100% water changes are completed properly....the fish WILL NOT die.....when a fish dies during a 100% water changes it is generally due to hobbyist error...not the water change itself........
yep, I've done lots of 100% changes and haven't had a fish die to one yet. they may stress a bit while they're cupped, but as soon as I release them they go right back to trying to weasel extra food out of me. I have a couple of guys that I got with almost no fins due to rot as well as being very emaciated and they've been getting 100% changes daily and both are getting better everyday. if they can handle 100% changes with no issues then I find it really hard to believe that just the 100% change would kill a fish
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #13 
fightergirl2710

Quote:
I agree too, most of my tanks, except for the cycled ones get 100% water changes... and I've had my oldest betta for 2 years now so, I really don't think a properly done complete water change will kill a fish... They get stressed a little in the cup as Tisia said but just put in a pinch of food and they forget all about the stress..
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #14 
namelessfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrf456 View Post
DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE WHO TELL YOU TO DO 100% WATER CHANGES.

Look.. I had the same problem.
Most of the " helpful " people on this site are compulsive about these fish and go to the extremes stressing them out, basically they keep them healthy physically but not mentally.

Scoop out about a teacup sized cup of water every day which is about 5-10%. Then do a 50% once a week.

100% water changes stress them out and shock them.

Just trust me.

I listened to the people here who told me to do this when I first started bettas. All 8 bettas I bought died in 2 weeks following these peoples rules. I now have 5 healthy happy ones doing these water changes.

I'm not speaking for the entire site.. A few helpful people here.. But most just take it too far. Sorry for your loss.. Good luck with your next one.
you had EIGHT FISH die? im sorry but its highly unlikely that EIGHT FISH died within 2 weeks of purchase simply because of 100% water changes. i have had 7 bettas in my life, none have died, all are currently living, i always do 100% water changes and have had NO health problems (physically OR mentally) other than one mild case of fin rot on a guy who came with fin rot from the store. so if your eight fish died, im fairly certain there was another issue going on and it wasnt merely the consequence of bad advice on this site.
namelessfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #15 
MaggieLynn

Yeah when i was uneducated about bettas i did 100% water changes every week or even once a month with filtered tanks, they where like 1 gallons and my fish lived years. what i do for my 5 and 10 gallon tanks is i leave about 2 inches of water for them to swim when i take water out and just leave them in. and right now i have 5 fish in QT's that i do 100% changes daily and they are just fine. So dont be fooled 100% arent bad like OFL said if done right can be safe.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #16 
Pitluvs

All I can say is personally, people around me do not do 100% changes, not one person in actual LIFE here says to do 100% changes.

Also there is no error here by hobbiest, but thanks for pointing that out. I am doing things no different than anyone else, I have owned tanks before and I have properly taken care of many tanks over the last few months with my tropicals and never had an issue. I have owned Bettas 5 years ago without the internet, and they lived longer than I am able to keep them alive now.

Anyways, do what works for you. If you find yourself with fish dying due to shock of 100% water changes, lower them. Find out what works in your home with your fish. Online forums are a guideline, not a rule book. I have respected breeders telling me not to do 100% changes, I have respected breeders saying it works for them. I know of one breeder who does water changes every 2-3 weeks, if they get around to it and are not too busy. Those fish are in great shape!

Owning Bettas isn't a pageant or a contest on who's better. I know people who change the water once a month, if that, and their fish are healthy and happy and actually get better food/accessories/treatments than most on here give their fish. I know a child that had a betta a few years ago that changed her water once a week, 100% and fed crap food in a bare tank. She was a great owner too.

Either way, take what you hear with a grain of salt and do your research and see what happens. Personally, we'll change the water here when it's needed and 50% only, and 50% the next day if needed. Never 100% here again.

People mean well, but there are no set rules to owning a pet. Good Luck.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:28 PM   #17 
audjree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
All I can say is personally, people around me do not do 100% changes, not one person in actual LIFE here says to do 100% changes.

Also there is no error here by hobbiest, but thanks for pointing that out. I am doing things no different than anyone else, I have owned tanks before and I have properly taken care of many tanks over the last few months with my tropicals and never had an issue. I have owned Bettas 5 years ago without the internet, and they lived longer than I am able to keep them alive now.

Anyways, do what works for you. If you find yourself with fish dying due to shock of 100% water changes, lower them. Find out what works in your home with your fish. Online forums are a guideline, not a rule book. I have respected breeders telling me not to do 100% changes, I have respected breeders saying it works for them. I know of one breeder who does water changes every 2-3 weeks, if they get around to it and are not too busy. Those fish are in great shape!

Owning Bettas isn't a pageant or a contest on who's better. I know people who change the water once a month, if that, and their fish are healthy and happy and actually get better food/accessories/treatments than most on here give their fish. I know a child that had a betta a few years ago that changed her water once a week, 100% and fed crap food in a bare tank. She was a great owner too.

Either way, take what you hear with a grain of salt and do your research and see what happens. Personally, we'll change the water here when it's needed and 50% only, and 50% the next day if needed. Never 100% here again.

People mean well, but there are no set rules to owning a pet. Good Luck.

i agree 100%. thanks everyone, for your advice. but, if it was my error, what did i do wrong?

i'm still not totally against 100% water changes, but if my next one dies the same way, i need to know what i'm doing wrong. i suppose next time, i'll just try 50% and leave him in there.
audjree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:50 PM   #18 
Oldfishlady

As I stated in my first post.......not enough or forgotten dechlorinator, extreme change of temp, pH, contamination of some type are but a few reasons a fish can die related to a water change....be it total or partial.....

Understanding the water and changes that occur within the little ecosystem that you create...a lot of thing happen in the water...the environment the fish depends on for life....a lot of changes can happen in a container of water that we can't see, smell, touch, feel...etc......and sometimes these small changes can have adverse effects on health, life of the fish.....it impossible to say what happened to your fish...but understanding the water... the fish environment is a good place to start......

Freshwater fish thrive with fresh water and to be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water........

Again sorry for your loss...sadly these things happen.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:23 PM   #19 
Lion Mom

I agree 100% with OFL - of course!

This is SUCH an interesting discussion, I decided to get the opinion of a pro. I e-mailed Jennifer (hopdiggity on AquaBid) to get her take on the subject. Here is what she e-mailed back:

For the last 6 years I do 100% water changes (unless they are in a filtered tank) and have had NO issues with doing it. If this person had fish die b/c of it then there could have been a number of reasons why they died. Shipping is more stressful than a water change so you can imagine how many dead fish there would be if they died simply from stress.

YES, if you do a 100% water change and dump the fish into water that is considerably different in temperature than what they were in then yes (common sense) you can shock the fish.
Just try to use a little common sense when doing water changes and make sure the temp is reasonable to what they were in before (does not have to be exact by any means) and the fish should be fine. NOW, 100% daily water changes, I think that would stress a fish out too. However, if it is a sick fish they also recommend 100% daily water changes and retreatment of meds, so I don’t know.

Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #20 
vaygirl

It could be a tap water issue? The ph in my out of the tap water has fluctuated from 6.0 to 7.3 within a week. That's a big shift. If I did a 100% water change, there could be an issue there (I don't do 100% because all of my tanks are big enough to be cycled).

If I hadn't known there was that much of a change and switched my fish from one to the other, it could have ended in disaster. This is yet another reason why I love my test kit and why it's important to understand water and water chemistry when you're keeping fish. I'm really sorry for your loss. :(
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water changes