Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #1 
Punki

Electra and Oldman

Well some of you may have read my other thread when i was thinking of breeding my CT female with my VT male, and it was said to be possible. I ended up taking a 10 gal, loading it with plants, 25% fake to fill spaces and 75% real. Then introdusing her. I already have the inforsia/bbs/first bites ect. Anyways i put her in a floating cup and within 2 hours she was releasing eggs in the cup, with vague breeding stripes and hed been in longer and had already built a nest so i released her and sat down to watch. A couple of nips to her and she was ready to breed o.o Suddenly they wrapped, and continued wrapping about 8 times total, dropping about 80 eggs total. I think they messed up though because all the eggs were eatten, whats sad is that the male would eat as the female took a few to his nest. In the ended none were left and i think she released too soon in the cup so i know i lost a good 50 or so there. Two hours after releasing her the deed was done and i left him to it, she had a few scales scratched and a bite in her bottom fin but nothing bad, and he was perfectly fine. Shes in some aquarium salt resting up, ill try again at some point but i just wanted to post that it was ALMOST a success! Old man finally got to embrace Electra, who he longs for lol!

Flash makes them different colors but Electra looks like my avatar in RL :P
Punki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #2 
diablo13

Happy Old Man got his wish :) best of luck next time, and Electra is BEAUTIFUL! If one of the male fry gets her color...WOW!
diablo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:40 PM   #3 
Punki

Thanks! I hope next time works out, i had been buying all of the supplies over the last week when i realized she was dropping eggs alittle bit so i thought id give it a try. So glad she was gentle, he was a bit fiesty but she had alot of places to hide out until she got curious, overall it was amazing fast with little damage. I could never leave them alone though, i watched them like a hawk and after every nip id sneak over and check on her XD If the next time he starts eating them all i may try to artificially hatch some if possible, he may be an egg eater. She on the other hand would grab a few and blow some silly little bubbles up into his nest and drop them off. I think ill keep her in the salt for a few days, and keep feeding them larvae regardless.
Her colors caught me offguard, i havent seen many females with such color. A lucky petco find :)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Been offline for a few days and a romance blossoms. Yay Old Man! Never too late to find a mate. I love the pic, he looks soooo happy all wrapped around Electra. If they get it right next time, you should definitely post a little spawn-journal in the breeding section. And I can't wait to see what their fry will look like. At least she didn't smash up Old Man's bubblnest like in the video.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 10:27 PM   #5 
Punki

lol Yes, he was a gentleman, well considering their nature, and she was an angel, never nipping at him, hed nip a time or two and shed go hide, if he found her shed flare her little cheeks and hed run off XD I actually grabbed an egg or two before he could eat it and threw them into a floating cup, one fungused my the following morning but the other looked promising, it had a dark dot in the center and had no fungus but waking up this morning it is fuzzy as well. So i guess that means they did fertilize but oldman got stingy!
Old 07-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #6 
Sakura8

Haha, well, he IS an old man, may not have been firing on all cylinders this time. He just needed a tune-up, is all. Electra sounds so cute, flaring her little cheeks at him. I can just imagine her spunky little face. How long does it take to recondition them? I know next to nothing about breeding.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:56 PM   #7 
Punki

Im not quite 100% positive but reading other spawn logs, if its cut short and theres not much damage some put them back in in 2-3 days after some water tlc and mass feeding. They always get larvae and extra water changes anyways and she has little damage so i think itd be alright on tuesday. I think it takes 3 days for her to fully get her eggs back also, though she is still plump, i dont think she released all of them. If she decides to release in her bowl before then ill wait longer. I think it really depends on the time/damage done by the end of spawning. Im still reading a ton but i feel pretty confident in all of my research so far :)
Old 07-09-2011, 10:57 PM   #8 
Sakura8

This is exciting! Electra will be like one of those pretty supermodel moms.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #9 
Punki

I was shocked when she started picking up eggs and putting them in the nest! He ended up picking them back out though, bad eggs i guess, but still, she tried to help instead of gobble them up. It was adorable :D I only have that picture but i have video of them trying to embrace for the first time, i need to upload it :P
Old 07-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #10 
Sakura8

That's so funny, it sounds like she knew more about the procedure than Old Man did. It's like, "Hey, this is your job, get your tail over here!"