Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 01:53 PM   #1 
gmd1800

Came home to a sick betta

I was out of town for over a week and half and came home to a betta who didn't look quite right

On Thursday, June 30, I did a 75% water change on both tanks. I left on July 1st with my parents and boyfriend to Virginia.

My parents left the lake on July 4th with instructions on how to take care of my fish while I was in Philly. I asked Dad to do one water change during the week and I would change the water again when I came home. Dad used to do water changes on our divided tank when we kept the family bettas a few years ago, so he knows what to do.

I came back from Philadelphia yesterday (July 8th), fed the fish and went straight to bed.

This morning, I fed the boys and examined them to make sure they were all right. Octo was perfectly OK - swimming around and chasing his tail.

Nero, on the other hand, doesn't look okay. He literally looks green around the gills. As in, his gills have green splotches on them that weren't there before. Both his eyes are cloudy and have a milky film over them. I don't think his vision is affected, though. When I fed him, he saw the pellets and were able to chase them down to eat them with no problems.

His plants are covered in algae and they're streaming in the water current. Just, his tank doesn't look right either. I have a suspicion that Dad waited until yesterday to do a water change, probably right before I got home.

The specs:
Housing
What size is your tank?
2.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank?
80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No
Is your tank heated?
Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Hikari Betta Bio-Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish?
Four pellets twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
50 to 75 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
Nutrafin water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
Not yet.
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
Cloudy eyes with a whitish film, green markings on the gills
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
None that I've noticed
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
This morning
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Not yet - I wanted to get opinions and tips on how to treat
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
None
How old is your fish (approximately)?
Maybe a year old?
gmd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:32 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Since he is otherwise acting and eating okay...I would do some daily water changes 25% water only and observe for now....if you have a way to check the nitrate and pH....post those numbers....sometimes high nitrate can cause cloudy eyes-watch for edema or swelling of the eyes/body, clamped fins etc.....

Live or fake plants...and if live are you using any plant food, how long is the photoperiod, watts, kelvin and age of bulb

Can you post a pic....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:44 PM   #3 
gmd1800

Fake plants - they're silk. At least, the packaging said they were silk. They work well enough for him.

Just tested the water -
pH is 7.6, ammonia is between 0 and 0.25 ppm, nitrites and nitrates at 0 ppm each.

Should I take out the plants and turn off the filter? I just noticed that the filter is covered in stringy blue-green algae.

I can try posting a picture, but no guarantees that it'll be clear. I can't find the SLR (I think Dad took it with him this weekend) so I have my phone.
Old 07-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #4 
Oldfishlady

Unless the filter is causing problems for the Betta...I would leave it on....when you make the water change and have the filter off...give the filter media a swish/rinse in the old tank water.......the algae....research BGA or cynobacteria and make sure that is not the algae you have...not really an algae but a bacteria...it usually grows in sheets and smells bad...if in strings it may not be BGA.....

What kind of testing products are you using....
Old 07-09-2011, 04:17 PM   #5 
gmd1800

I have the API master test kit. It's not old - I got it a few months ago, if that's a factor.

I haven't really taken a whiff of the algae, but the tank in general smells "watery" - not like a clean tank, but it's a strong smell. I found a link that recommends "blacking out" to get rid of the algae, or dosing with Macaryn.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #6 
Oldfishlady

The reason I was asking about the testing product is due to you not having any nitrate and that could mean that the tank has not cycled yet...new setup or test strips can sometimes give skewed readings too....with the API brand sometimes the nitrate reagent #2 bottle can settle and give skewed readings....it needs to be shaken really well and even a bang on the table a couple of times....lol.....

Low or no nitrate can sometimes be a cause of BGA or one of many causes.....

The way I take care of BGA-I manually remove as much as I can by vacuum daily and increase water movement and generally will have it resolved within a week or so......blackout can work-but I would remove any livestock and since you don't have any live plants that may work well for you, however, in that small of a tank...for BGA-I would tear the tank down and re-start.....using antibiotic will work if it is cynaobacteria...but you most likely will kill the biological filter...... both good and bad bacteria- since the antibiotic can't tell the difference.....
Old 07-09-2011, 05:14 PM   #7 
gmd1800

Sounds fabulous. Thank you! Hopefully this helps poor Nero. I checked on him earlier and he was hiding under the filter, in the dark.