Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 04:36 PM   #1 
MorganC2010

Uh-oh, I'm addicted...

So I got my first betta about 3 weeks ago, a lovely gift from my best friend who has 3 herself. He is a multicolor vt named Tiberius (he is the one in my avatar pic).

Well I am fighting the urge to get another. I am going to a local fish store sometime soon to find some daphnia for Tiberius, who is recovering from a very mild case of bloat, and I will probably come back with another betta. I am just worried that the bowls I use arn't not big enough. Tiberius is in a 2 1/2 gallon I believe, however to me he seems to have enough space, the water he lives in is 5 1/2 inches deep and 13inches in diameter. For the possible new fish I plan to get the same type of bowl. At least untill I can find a divider for my 40gallon tank then I will move them both.

So should I go ahead and get one?
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44 PM   #2 
GunsABlazin

a 2.5g bowl is just fine, as long as water changes are kept up.
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 PM   #3 
Lion Mom

As stated, 2 1/2 gals. is good. YES, get another one - this from the lady that is getting #18 next week. LOL!!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:07 PM   #4 
Littlebittyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
As stated, 2 1/2 gals. is good. YES, get another one - this from the lady that is getting #18 next week. LOL!!!!
Where do you plug in all the heaters!? I have 7 tanks and I am trying to decide if I want to unplug the tv so I can fit another tank on my living room stand......Dont think anyone here would be happy about that though!...will just have to find a better spot I guess...
I say yes to getting another betta as long as you can keep up with water changes and keep them warm.2.5 gallons is fine.
Littlebittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #5 
GunsABlazin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Where do you plug in all the heaters!?
Power strip upon power strip!
GunsABlazin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:11 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlebittyfish View Post
Where do you plug in all the heaters!? I have 7 tanks and I am trying to decide if I want to unplug the tv so I can fit another tank on my living room stand......Dont think anyone here would be happy about that though!...will just have to find a better spot I guess...
I say yes to getting another betta as long as you can keep up with water changes and keep them warm.2.5 gallons is fine.
Two words - POWER STRIPS!!!! A fishkeeper's best friend!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:24 PM   #7 
MorganC2010

Yeah I keep up on the water changes, it helps that my family has fallen in love with him as well because now they volunteer to do it for me some times lol.

As to getting another one, I really want to but I have desided to wait and see what my friend's little brother desides to do. He has one but he keeps it in a tiny...cup, i can't even call it a bowl. He hardly looks at it or feeds it. I actualy gave him a name last time I saw him. Well, short story long, my friend, her mother, and I are trying to talk the little brother into giving the fish up to me. Hopefully I'll be taking him home soon. Thanks for the help everyone!

Oh and while at walmart mom and I fell in love with a 5 gallon tank, hopefully Tiberius will be upgraded soon. :)
MorganC2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 PM   #8 
BlueEyedBettaBoy

i keep most of my bettas in 2.5+ gallon... containers. :D. my room i keep my critters in is nice and warm so the thermometer reading on my 14 gal is 82 with no heater. I don't use air conditioning in there in the summer so it's pretty warm. heat the room your possibilities are endless. also, i do 50% water changes after 3 days and 3 or four days after that do a 100% then a 50% after like three or four days etc.
BlueEyedBettaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote