Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 11:11 PM   #11 
Blaze54

Pygmy Cories might be ok. Yeah colorful fish are kind of risky. But there are plenty of fish that are not colorful but very interesting! Maybe a couple of dull colored Platies. I've seen these really cool dark green with a tint of white and orange colored ones in Pet stores.
Blaze54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:44 PM   #12 
harrow

I finally decided im not gonna be placing a betta in my tank, so i was thinking 5 fancy guppies 3 catfish and 2 african dwarf frogs. Would this be to stocked for a 10 gallon. and maybe add some shrimps later
harrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #13 
harrow

or 5 fancy guppies 4 neon tetra and 2 catfish
Old 07-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #14 
fishman12

I believe that is over stocked and you want to have at least 3 catfish, they are schoolers.
fishman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:26 PM   #15 
MaggieLynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrow View Post
or 5 fancy guppies 4 neon tetra and 2 catfish
Fancy guppies wouldnt be good they would probably be mistaken for other bettas but the others would be fine and yes that would be over stocking your tank.
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:30 PM   #16 
harrow

I decided not to put my betta in my tank, so it would just be the 5 guppy and 4 catfish but know im thinking maybe a variety of fish
Old 07-16-2011, 11:48 PM   #17 
Pitluvs

I am sorry to break it to you, but most fish NEED a group of 4-5 or more to feel secure and safe. Fish that require schools do so not because it's pretty, but because without the security of a larger group, they are always stressed and more prone to be sick and catch diseases. By going out and getting one or two of whatever fish you like, you are ignoring their minimal care. If you cannot provide them with the minimum, don't buy them please! Besides, fish that are happy and healthy cost less in the long run AND they are so much more fun to watch. Trust me, please.

Guppies breed like guppies lol 5 will turn into MANY in no time :)

Also, my LPS agree's with me on the fact that Danios may be a hardy first time fish, but they need groups of 6 or more AND they are not a peacefully fish. They are fin nippers and hyper and need at least 24" long tanks for swimming. I have three, one of them is upsetting my WHOLE tank! Savage little thing! I plan on getting more, but my LPS is out of them, and I lost the 3 I bought 2 weeks ago.

Rules of thumb for tropical tanks... 1" of fish per gallon. Find out what the fish's max size is at adulthood. 2" fish would be 5 MAX in a 10gal tank. But use caution, a 10" fish would not be happy in a 10gal tank alone :)

Personally, the lists you posted are just a bit overstocked. You will have stress, disease and ammonia issues. Do your homework and fish keeping will be rewarding :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #18 
harrow

I plan on only getting male guppy, does anyone have suggestion for stocking.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:22 AM   #19 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Guppy fish require fairly warm temperatures (23-24 C, 82-84F), but they can live in water between 19.0 - 29.0C (69 - 86 F) and quiet vegetated water is good for survival too (Vallisneria Spiralis is a good plant for this purpose since it grows from from bottom to the surface, thus allowing Guppies to play, hide, chase each other). They are community fish. It is good to have more than 5 Guppies in a tank, otherwise they feel alone and this fact can affect their health in term of lifespan. It is recommended to have 1 male to 3 females. They seem to be annoying to other fish in the tank, because they often follow other fish around incessantly, but they do no harm. Only sometimes other fish bite their fins. And some big fish can eat them (starting with Gouramis, ending with Goldfish or big cichlids such as Jack Dempsey or Texas cichlid). So be careful what fish are kept in the tank along with Guppies. The water in the tank should be the pH 7.0 - 8.5 and dH of water (dGH) 12.0 - 18.0 N.

Since Guppies tend to live happily in a tank with more than 10-15 inhabitants, a reasonably sized fish tank is necessary for raising them. I would never put Guppies into a tank of 20 litres or less. Actually, a 20L aquarium will never contain full 20L of water thanks to gravel, filter, driftwood, and the fact that no fish tank is filled from top to bottom. Instead, at least 40 litres are required for about 10-12 Guppies.
Just a little google... personally, I can't wait to have a Guppy only tank with a few bristle nose or bulldog plecos :)
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 AM   #20 
harrow

how about 5 male guppy and 4 catfish?