Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2011, 08:13 PM   #11 
Tisia

while I understand your point, at the same time, leaving them there to die is just going to result in them sticking a new one up on the shelf same as buying them would. the stores probably don't make enough profit on bettas for a few dead ones to even matter to them
and yeah, like MikiMaki said, I think most people mean they're rescuing them from a slow painful death
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:32 PM   #12 
MikiMaki

I meant more of rescues offering money to byb's for dogs that are in deplorable conditions. One rescue brought in this maltese b*tch that was only 2 and had 3 litters already, she was in such dystocia (trouble giving birth) to these poorly bred over grown pups that the owner (and I use the term loosely) gave her a c-section himself...and...well...not to be too graphic, they paid to get the momma dog from him and the puppies just to save their lives.

But I truly do understand your point as well, by paying for them we're encouraging them, but there would need to be such a massive boycott to make a difference that it's just not feasible. And I have seen some great big box stores with wonderful healthy looking bettas, so it's workers not policy.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #13 
hissien

I didn't rescue taiyou ka but I may (or may not) have saved his life but I payed money for him he was a purchase but unlike your "terruble petsmarts" mine isn't bad they change the water every day and have improved their quality a lot. Don't blame the store blame us the consumers we buy fish from their stores and continue to because we have no other way. Should that mean we can't keep fish? No we have every right to buy from those stores but honestly the only true way to rescue a betta is to get a dying betta and heal it not order a show betta online. There is no right or wrong way to buy a pet what matters mose is how much you care.
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:14 PM   #14 
Pitluvs

We don't have petsmart here, thanks.

Anyways, my point is... it's not rescuing if you pay money for a fish from a store. Paying an adoption fee from a rescue is rescuing.

I'm not so much saying people shouldn't buy from pet stores, I'm just saying if there is a better way, then why not use that? My main peeve is the rescue term being used so loosely lol

MikiMaki, was that a rescue giving money to save a dogs life, or an individual? Many rescues will pay minimal money to get a dog out of a bad situation, or whatever pet it may be. But rescues will not pay full price. At least any ethical one will not.

Last edited by Pitluvs; 07-09-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:19 PM   #15 
hissien

Sorry I didn't mean to rant I kind of just felt inspired by your passion about the care of bettas
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:30 PM   #16 
Adabell

Purchasing the bettas from the pet store and leaving them there both have the same negative side. Either way the fish that was on the shelf before will be replaced by another. I figure that it's only fair to give at least one of those suffering fish a chance to have a better life. Sure, they might stop selling them if they see that nobody will purchase them anymore, but there will always be people who purchase these bettas even if they aren't meaning to "rescue" them.
Adabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #17 
PhilipPhish

I have not access to onine betta sellers and breeders. I rely on my lfs and my petco for all my fish things. sure ot would be nice to end the cycle, but its juat the way things are. you saved one from the cup, now make them as happy as you can! thats all that really matters isnt it? its the same with any other animal.
PhilipPhish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 PM   #18 
lunawatsername

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You should have seen the managers FACE when I told Ben "You're mine now Buddy, lets go to WalMart and get you a new home!" hahaha
that made me laugh so hard! xDDD
lunawatsername is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 11:57 PM   #19 
MikiMaki

Well Pitluvs I do believe the guy was just gonna let the maltese die and they said no we'll take her but then he said he'd only sell her to them so they ended up paying, now how much, I'm not sure, they took the puppies too so he probably asked a bit.

I get why you don't like the word being tossed around like that especially volunteering for rescues and such.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:25 AM   #20 
YoshesMom

I run a betta rescue and I take in unwanted or mistreated betta some I buy but those are my personnal betta and arent offered up for adoption the ones I rescue like Rainbow the guy called me and said come get him or im flushing him i consider that a rescue and a few of mine ive pulled from tanks where they were being EATEN by barbs i consider those rescues
YoshesMom is offline   Reply With Quote