Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 AM   #21 
Larsa

Well some people "rescue" bettas from walmart because they see some stupid horribly raised kid shaking their container when the poor thing is already dying from ammonia burns and other diseases from the nasty water- so they take it home, give it a nice clean spacious home with real food, and far away from pesty kids yelling " mommy I want this!!! ". I work at walmart, and I know what really goes on at other walmarts- nasty tap water, being feed ONCE a week- flakes, having water changed ONCE a month in a tiny container. Its animal abuse the same all around whether its a walmart betta or a a dog that got the crap beat out of it. I volunteered at ASPCA and here in TX we had a lot of animal rescues from Katrina and abusive owners. Its really the same if you think about it- a defenseless animal trying to survive but cant do much. So imagine being a walmart fish-seriously. Just imagine maybe 10 mins or so. That walmart betta is no different than that katrina dog- both needed help and were dying, needing love. So yes, it is technically resucing.
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #22 
Larsa

BTW also you said above that its not rescuing if you have to pay for the animal. Our dog Jasper was a Katrina rescue dog who was also severly abused and we paid $100 to adoşt him. He was malnurished, had bad teeth, and was horrible afraid of people because he was almost literally beaten to death until animal rescue came and got him. We gave him a wonderful home with a big back yard, science diet, all the chew toys he can handle, and a loving family. So according to you, we didnt rescue him because we paid for him?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:39 AM   #23 
elijahfeathers

Larsa - Would you agree there's a difference between rescuing a dog from a shelter, and buying a puppy that was bred in a puppy mill to 'save' it? Both are animals that need help-- but I bet you would never support the puppy mill by buying the dog.

Buying a betta in a store is like buying a dog in a store. It's sending the message that breeding them for profit and putting them in those conditions is good and okay. You seem really defensive about this. No one said you didn't rescue your dog. but you certainly didn't buy your dog form a puppy mill to save it, did you?
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:11 AM   #24 
Arashi Takamine

I-I don't know what to say to this. I retyped it four times and all I can say is:

It's a life. We 'rescue' them because is it right to let them die either? I don't think so...They don't deserve it just because some idiot multi-million dollar corporation doesn't bother to grow a brain. It's not their fault their breeder had 'em shipped off to these stores.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:19 AM   #25 
Larsa

It doesnt matter to me if I had to pay to save it or get it for free. If life is being abused and someone is trying their hardest to help it, I personally consider it rescued whether you buy it from an over-crowded mill or adopt a wounded creature the streets. Life who was purposly made for financial gain in a mill is still abuse. Its very sick minded and its not the animals fault its in that situation because of some greedy human. Some mill animals are treated worse than strays. What matters is you are trying to give an animal a better life where it can be safe and loved, far from harm.

Last edited by Larsa; 07-10-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 AM   #26 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
It doesnt matter to me if I had to pay to save it or get it for free. If life is being abused and someone is trying their hardest to help it, I personally consider it rescued whether you buy it from an over-crowded mill or adopt a wounded creature the streets. Life who was purposly made for financial gain in a mill is still abuse. Its very sick minded and its not the animals fault its in that situation because of some greedy human. Some mill animals are treated worse than strays. What matters is you are trying to give an animal a better life where it can be safe and loved, far from harm.
THANK YOU! +9001! My view exactly. Either way your giving an animal comfort, love and a home to enjoy.
Old 07-10-2011, 04:13 AM   #27 
Larsa

lol thanks :P I dont tolerate animal abuse, especialy bettas- my fav animals. My walmart doesnt even sell bettas because they know what those poor water babies go through... :' (
Old 07-10-2011, 04:58 AM   #28 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
lol thanks :P I dont tolerate animal abuse, especialy bettas- my fav animals. My walmart doesnt even sell bettas because they know what those poor water babies go through... :' (
Welcome. Me either which is why I'm so glad Akira was healthy when I brought him home and has just continued to be a joy. I only feel human in the morning after I've seen my boys.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:35 AM   #29 
hissien

Man you really set off a bomb with this thread....
hissien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:07 AM   #30 
elijahfeathers

It's a touchy subject. lol. On the one hand, you have a fish who needs help. On the other hand, you have the choice of supporting the trade that causes them to be in that condition or not.

idk, I make a distinction between saving and animal and the word 'rescue'. To me, when you buy a betta from a store, or do something like buy a dog from a backyard breeder, you can 'save' it, but you're not part of rescuing it. idk for me that word, when talking about animals, kind of refers to specifically when you;

Pay no money to a person who puts the animal into that condition. This is not the same as paying an adoption fee in a shelter or something, which just helps cover the cost of the animal's stay. You do not want to be supporting the people in any way shape or form who do this.

So yeah I know some people in this thread aren't gonna like me for it. But there are pitty purchases, which saves the life of an animal. But there are also rescues that do it and try to move animals without giving any support to the cause of them being where they are. You don't stop puppymills by buying up all the dogs from the breeders-- you stop them by refusing to buy those dogs.

tl;dr - Saving an animal's life isn't the same as a 'rescue' imo. Rescue is a word that has a more specialized meaning when it comes to animals. And also, anyone who maybe feels bad or whatever about buying from walmarts or chain stores, remember;

Quote:
Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer. He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day. So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean. As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?" The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?" "The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die." "But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!" The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said-

"It made a difference for that one."
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote