Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 12:23 PM   #31 
Larsa

I still see no difference in "saving life" and "rescuing" Its the same all around to me and thats what im always gonna think :P
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:46 PM   #32 
elijahfeathers

Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. Because for me rescuing = taking an animal out of a situation without encouraging the situation to continue.
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 12:57 PM   #33 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larsa View Post
BTW also you said above that its not rescuing if you have to pay for the animal. Our dog Jasper was a Katrina rescue dog who was also severly abused and we paid $100 to ado■t him. He was malnurished, had bad teeth, and was horrible afraid of people because he was almost literally beaten to death until animal rescue came and got him. We gave him a wonderful home with a big back yard, science diet, all the chew toys he can handle, and a loving family. So according to you, we didnt rescue him because we paid for him?
No, you payed an adoption fee that replaces the money spent on your dog until you adopted it. You didn't pay a fee that just profits an owner. Big difference. Your dog wasn't brought there to make profit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hissien View Post
Man you really set off a bomb with this thread....
Actually, everyone here is handling this extremely well! It's good to have some food for thought every now and then, things to make you think on here. Life's not always rainbows, there are downsides :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elijahfeathers View Post
Well we'll have to agree to disagree then. Because for me rescuing = taking an animal out of a situation without encouraging the situation to continue.
THANK YOU. Exactly what I am trying to say! In no way am I telling people to stop getting bettas, I'm just a little urked with people saying rescue when it's actually not. For those of us who WORK in rescue (Yes, I work in rescue, not volunteer. Volunteers are not payed and pay nothing to foster animals. I may not be payed, but I pay for the animals in my care not the rescues who take them in) there is a huge distinct difference in rescue and saving a life... and elijahfeathers said it perfectly.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:24 PM   #34 
Larsa

wait im confused about your job XD You are saying you "WORK" in animal rescue, yet, are not getting paid for it- and you are paying for the animals you care for. If you arnt getting paid hourly for doin it you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart, isnt that techniqally voluntering? I was 16 when I volunteered with my family after Katrina and we still bought the animals food, toys, and donated every month. We paid to take care of the critters, but it we volunteered to do it, not for income. o.o How old are you and what do you actually do as a steady income? Please clarify... so confused @_@

Last edited by Larsa; 07-10-2011 at 01:29 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:30 PM   #35 
Pitluvs

Quote:
wait im confused about your job XD You are saying you "WORK" in animal rescue, yet, are not getting paid for it- and you are paying for the animals you care for. If you arnt getting paid hourly for doin it you are doing it out of the kindness of your heart, isnt that techniqally voluntering? o.o How old are you and what do you actually do as a steady income? Please clarify... so confused @_@
I say work because it's not free. I pay for our fosters food, vet care, bedding and housing. The local rescue doesn't. Yes I volunteer my time, but I pay for the animals care. Most rescues pay for everything when you foster, but by paying for it myself I allow them to take in more animals that need homes. Therefore it's work with rescue. I also use a lot of time online trying to match up animals who have lost their owners or visa versa. I also do a lot of work with Breed Specific Legislation and trying to minimize the Pitbull Bans in Canada. I am very active in rescue, I have done my own rescue, I volunteer and I work.

I just don't go to shelters or I'd take them all home!! haha

Not that you should be asking such personal question online But I'm 27, a stay at home Mom to two toddlers. My fiance works out of home and my income is provided by the government because I have children (not welfare, in Canada you get a set amount every month just because you have kids). That set amount is used towards rescues and fosters, if we have any. Right now we do not :) I feel like one of the few oldies on here.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #36 
Creat

When I "rescue" a betta I try to bargain them down many times I have, I feel if I can get it for 1/2 the price or free, which is what usually happens if you argue with them enough, then they arent making a profit and if their not making a profit they are loosing money by keeping them.
But I have a hard time believing that every time you pay for something your not rescuing it, I had a dog once named Shadow (cause she was literally a shadow of a dog when I got her). She came from a petstore that had kept her and 2 other littermates in one of those small glass window things where she wasnt fed or cared for and when they were fed and watered she was the runt and pushed out of the way by the rest of her litter,she was rescued but she had to be payed for. Does this mean she wasnt rescued cause I had to pay to get her out of the situation?
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 01:47 PM   #37 
Pitluvs

What your not getting is by taking that pup out of the situation, you opened that spot for another dog. Continuing the cycle. You may have saved one dog, but you sentenced another to the same fate. How do you explain what you did to the next dog? Was that rescue?
Old 07-10-2011, 01:51 PM   #38 
Larsa

Lol okies XD didnt mean to sound like a creeper! Its nice all around people are helping animals. I kinda see what you mean about the details on rescuing, but to me its a serious way of saving life. I respect and love all life- I dont squish bugs :P I Im sorry if I offended you too much, I have had a dramatic moment of clarity about life too early. Speaking of serious animal rescues, I wanted to work for the Gulf Spill rescue team last year but I couldnt... and some animals out there are still suffering over ýt. I breed bettas as but I dont sell them for profit :P I give em out too ppl who really love bettas, as long as they dont use them for decor!!
Old 07-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #39 
Shimizoki

Quote:
I breed bettas as but I dont sell them for profit :P I give em out too ppl who really love bettas, as long as they dont use them for decor!!
Can I have 1 for free? I would love to keep it in a vase and grow a plant over it!

On Topic:
The way I see it is saving a life = rescuing. I can understand that buying a betta allows a new one to take its place, however a single person boycotting a company wouldn't make a difference. If you can get a large amount in a small area to do it then it would be lucrative. The best you can do in most situations is to give the ones that may die in the companies care the best home you can... either way a betta will die. Leave the betta there... it dies, buy the betta... the replacement dies.

Also, if you aren't being payed for doing rescues then you are a volunteer. Saying that you shell out your own pocket money doesn't make it "work". That's like saying you work in "Sanitation" when in fact you are a garbage man... just trying to make what you do sound fancier than it is.

However in the end its really down to how someone defines a word. There are tons of words that people use incorrectly every day and then someone comes along who knows a different definition that they use. On top of that English as a language evolves and there are dozens of different dialects... its quite possible that the two words mean the same thing in some, but not in others.

An example... Torch: it means 2 different things in English UK vs American

Those are my thoughts atleast.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #40 
Pitluvs

I never took offence :) I just meant, you really shouldn't ask for personal info like that. Some people have fits! Myself, I'm more laid back with the net, I've been on it for 2 decades.

Rescue is hard, heartbreaking and sometimes rewarding. Rescue people are heated about what they do and hate when it's dumb'ed down. Nothing about rescue is easy, and to walk into a store, pay a few bucks and take a pet home is not a rescue. You may be rescuing a pet I guess, but it's not a rescue situation. I guess that's a little more clear?

I plan on breeding my bettas, and will sell them locally for profit or ship within country if someone wants one. I also plan on selling to the pet stores here. But I'll also be in the stores weekly checking on the conditions and if I don't like what I see, I'll be pulling my Bettas and walking. Contracts are wonderful things. This is all subject to change though, I certainly won't breed unless I can keep them all :)