Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #41 
fightergirl2710

I don't see how it matters, what you call it. Your giving an animal in need a home that would love it. That's all that matters. I see so many people everyday who have dogs, not care for them or abandon them because they get too big or have them die due to negligence and just buy another puppy because aww it's so cute X(... If that dog went to a rescue it would be saved but what if the guy who owned it before got another dog and treated it the same way. The situation still continues right? I just say rescue because of a lack for a better word. If it was just a purchase to me I'd buy the healthiest looking fish there, not the sickliest. I know the healthy guy will be picked up by someone but not that guy with the fin rot. That's just my theory :).
EDIT: I understand what you're saying about just shelling a few bucks but I spend a lot of my time medicating, changing water, feeding and generally looking after these fish because the're sick.. I don't dump them in a tank and say look it came from a petstore so I rescued it

Last edited by fightergirl2710; 07-10-2011 at 03:22 PM.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #42 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post

Also, if you aren't being payed for doing rescues then you are a volunteer. Saying that you shell out your own pocket money doesn't make it "work". That's like saying you work in "Sanitation" when in fact you are a garbage man... just trying to make what you do sound fancier than it is.
Since when has 'work' become a noun only? Work can be a verb as well, and I think that's where lines are getting crossed.

And maybe if I was immature I'd want to dress things up. But I'm not. I work with Rescue, I don't work for Rescue.
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:21 PM   #43 
Shimizoki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
You may be rescuing a pet I guess, but it's not a rescue situation. I guess that's a little more clear?
That right there is the spark that started this all... Here is what you need to ask. Are you rescuing a betta, or all bettas? Most people seem to just be recuing A betta and that's all that is meant by that.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #44 
Pitluvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fightergirl2710 View Post
I don't see how it matters, what you call it. Your giving an animal in need a home that would love it. That's all that matters. I see so many people everyday who have dogs, not care for them or abandon them because they get too big or have them die due to negligence and just buy another puppy because aww it's so cute X(... If that dog went to a rescue it would be saved but what if the guy who owned it before got another dog and treated it the same way. The situation still continues right? I just say rescue because of a lack for a better word. If it was just a purchase to me I'd buy the healthiest looking fish there, not the sickliest. I know the healthy guy will be picked up by someone but not that guy with the fin rot. That's just my theory :).
Rescues can press cruelty charges, individuals cannot :) Although it doesn't stop people from owning animals, it's a step. That's why there are movement in place trying to stop animal cruelty and pushing for harder laws/punishments.

As an individual, there is nothing backing you up :(
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #45 
Pitluvs

Anyways, I am walking away from this. Yes I started it (haha) but I have said all I can say, and those who think like me have already said what they needed to and walked away. I am sorry for those who cannot understand where I am coming from, I guess that could be lack of communication on my part. I have never been the best at typing out my thoughts on subjects clearly.

Anyways, I truly hope people start looking to make a difference for Bettas, not just for their Betta. I hope more look to rescues, or think about starting their own. Or even do some research and get an inside view of how rescue works.
Old 07-10-2011, 03:31 PM   #46 
Larsa

The reason I feel the way I do about my opinion is because- and Im NOT in any way scared to share this to anyone! Yeah its personal but im open. - I was severly abused my whole life-being feed almost nothing- I got horribly sick all the time and couldnt get a doctor. I needed help but couldnt -cant go into detail however. She started 'caring' when CPS came. My mom kept me only because of taxes and when I turned 18 she got rid of me because she couldnt get taxes from keeping me. My spouse who was my BF/BFF had to pay a lot-i mean a LOT to fly me down to Texas, feed, me and importantly had me healed, but he saved my life and showed me love and family. I feel personally like he "rescued" me in a way. I cant thank him enough!!! I honestly would be dead without him. Sadly, my mom is having another baby just so she can get more tax money. I was replaced, used for money. So when I see a sick betta who is under fed and sick being shook up by a kid at the petsore I guess I saw my former self. Even tho that fish was replaced with another, I was too. I feel so much for these fish! X'D

Btw im ok!!! I am living my dream life with no problems :) with my new family, a stable job, and LOTs of bettas!!! Hahahah thats the life! XD LMAO
Larsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #47 
Creat

To continue on my old dog Shadow no the store did not carries puppies anymore but it wouldnt let the ones it had go for free. So no another poor dog did not takes its place.
Is it not right to save an animal that is suffering even if another one takes its place? Its just something I dont understand. But if an animal is sick and in desperate need of care... then I feel it does count as a rescue. And as individuals the only thing we can do is get the ones who need help out of it even if another one takes its place. I feel that you gave another it a chance and the new one coming in usually healthier also has a chance then just repetitively letting animals die. I think it would take a long time for an industry to change its practices and a lot of animals killed or otherwise before it happened.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:35 PM   #48 
Creat

oh and here is generic definition of rescued
"res·cue/ˈreskyo͞o/Noun: An act of saving or being saved from danger or distress.
Verb: Save (someone) from a dangerous or distressing situation"
so I guess if you follow the dictionary yes it is a rescue technically..
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #49 
Shimizoki

I agree it sucks how they are treated... but I'm just too lazy to save them all.

Also I think Creat has a similar mentality as I do about saving them.

The generic definition is exactly what I meant in an earlier post. Those in the rescue field have an alternative definition. It is not wrong... but often times causes confusion when talking to others not in the same field.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:37 PM   #50 
fightergirl2710

I live in India, we have no laws on how to keep animals, and whatever laws that exist are pretty lax. People get away with murder.. The Muncipal corp buried a horse that had fallen into a pit alive, instead of saving it because it took too long to do something like that... I help shelters and rescues by donating and fostering but it's all they can really do here. There are markets selling endangered animals, there's a law against it but they're still doing it. There is too much crime here for someone to care for an animal...
I know that in the big plan of things, you're right but then I feel that what I'm doing is making a difference in that one animal's life. And that one animal to me is a rescue. As an individual it's the least I can do... :)
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote