Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #1 
chrism616

Question One week old-not eating

I have had bettas my whole life. All of them have lived 3 to 5 years. My latest one just passed, so I went and adopted a new one. He is blue and really pretty..will post a picture soon. I got him a brand new 5 gallon aquarium with LED light and low flow whisper filter. Lots of plants. He seems really happy and swims around a lot and has already gotten deeper in color and his fins are already looking normal (he looked pretty rough when I brought him home from PETSMART). The only thing is I am not sure if he is eating. He will come to the top, look at it and swim away and ignore it. I have seen a couple of times that he has eaten it then spit some or all out. I am rotating different food choices with him. Not sure what to do now. Thanks guys.
chrism616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:52 AM   #2 
MikiMaki

Try sticking to one food for now, and giving him time. Sometimes it take awhile for them to adjust to life in a new place and won't eat for awhile. Or it's possible he's still human shy and just doesn't wanna eat in front of you. Most people suggest pellets here, you could try soaking them first in tank water or some suggest garlic juice.
MikiMaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #3 
Tisia

you can try crushing pellets or flakes as well, sometimes they're just a bit too big
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM   #4 
chrism616

thanks guys. I will try that. He sometimes will eat and then spit them out. I will give it a few days then go from there.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #5 
Sivan

My fish did that in the beginning too and refused to eat anything but bloodworms. When I realized this was bad, I waited one day and then offered him the pellet again. WHen he was hungry enough, he ate. Sometimes the fish trains the owner and teaches that person what to feed it, but not giving in is the best way to combat this.

Also, sometimes I notice certain fish prefer softer food. Try soaking a pellet in water for a bit to soften it and then give it to him. I know it helps with constipation too.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 PM   #6 
Jrf456

Try different foods.

My girl Suellen won't eat blood worms or pellets, she will only eat betta flakes. Maybe he's just picky! I have a shelf with 5 different kinds of betta food.. Spoiled creatures :p.
Jrf456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #7 
chrism616

well, I am still worried today. He is acting normal swimming around, looking at me. But he still hasn't eaten. I put a betta pellet in his water this morning, and I left it while I went to work. When I came home it was still there. He just kept swimming up and looking at it. So I fished it out and put a flake on the top of his water. Left it about three or four hours...it still wasn't eaten. I then rinsed off a new plastic straw and moved the flake around...as it floated down he ate it then spit it all out. I guess if he were hungry he would have eaten it? I am starting to get frustrated. I am worried.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #8 
chrism616

I bought some bloodworms. He ate one. But then yesterday it was back to looking at then ignoring the pellet. I guess I will just be patient.

Tags
new betta, won't eat