Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-10-2011, 02:06 PM   #1 
hellofishy

Exclamation One of Four female bettas has clamped fins. HELP!

I just got four female betta fish. Two fought for alpha female and have nipped fins. I've been doing water changes every 3 days to keep the water clean for the nipped fins.

Its a 10 gallon filtered, planted tank, with two neon tetras (survivers from old tank) and a mystery snail. I didn't put my heater in bc my room was hot, keeping the the temp at 76, but i put it in today just in case the fluctuations from night and day was stressing them. IT should keep the tank at 78 from now on.

All fish are swimming around and are eating normally.

I noticed the alpha female had a clamped fin. I'm worried because my last fish (from walmart) had clamped fins and then after trying to medicate, died a month ago. I cleaned out the tank and decor and cycled it with the two neon tetras and the mystery snail for a month...watching them for any signs of sickness before I got the females. I don't want to loose a fish. :(

I put 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt in my tank (heard it helps the fins). Is that enough for a ten gallon? Should I continue my water changes every three days? Should I quarantine the alpha? I don't want to mess up the heirarchy!

HELP!
hellofishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum...

First, I would make a 50% water change on the main tank for the next couple of days to get the salt out so it doesn't kill your live plants......

Clamped fin can sometimes be a sign of submission especially in a sorority when the girls are fighting for placement.......as long as she is otherwise acting and eating okay...you may want to wait it out.....but, this can also be stressful and with stress....the immune response can be compromised and she may need to be removed.....be sure and have things in the tank that go all the way up to the top so she can get to the surface for air without being seen by the other fish......

Keep us posted....would love to see a pic.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 PM   #3 
hellofishy

Thanks,

I will keep you guys posted. Thanks oldfishlady.. I read this forum often and read your helpful posts. Now I decided to finally join!!

I will do the water changes, and I'll get some picture up ASAP!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #4 
hellofishy

I'm going to swing by petco in the morning and get another large fake plant. I think she might need more hiding places because I found her sleeping in between the filter and heater, lol. She is still swimming around, and she seems a bit perkier. She is now puffing out her lower fins (the two small ones) when she hovers in the water like the others do. I will keep you all posted, and thanks for your advice! I've posted some pictures of the tank although the quality isn't great and the ladies seemed a bit camera shy!