Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #11 
Shimizoki

my LFS has pufferfish for sale, they are pretty cute.. but I don't see anything about them needed special care. I did read they are aggressive though. If someone could confirm?
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:35 PM   #12 
N03113

So I recently got a 3 gallon tank for my betta, Sammich, (photos on tanks forum) and a few comments have been "3 gallons.. seems like a lot for him.. you must be spoiling him."

I'd have gone bigger if I had space. I just reply, survive does not equal thrive.
N03113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #13 
Arashi Takamine

My parents both know my betta's and their behaviors. They stopped being 'Just a fish' after seeing how much personality they have. My mom was crying with me when we realized Maka had dropsy and even said she was willing to do anything to help me try saving her. Kai and Akira know all three of us and swim up to the front knowing we'll probably give 'em food. Dad even gave Kai the right amount of brine shrimp yesterday.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #14 
Luimeril

my view, from my Facebook and here somewhere:

i used to agree with the "they're just fish" idea. then, i got my first betta, Zach, and that idea went out the window. he wasn't JUST a fish, he was not only MY fish, but my FRIEND. he seemed to listen to me when i'd talk to him, he soon learned my voice, what i looked like, even when it was feeding time. even now, with EIGHT bettas, i've learned more and more, with each one, that they're not JUST fish. no fish is JUST a fish. they're individuals, with little personalities and feelings. after getting and falling in love with different kinds of fish(not just bettas), to me, they're not just stupid fish with no brains or feelings, they're living, breathing creatures, who deserve respect like any other. if it were a project, where you shoved a kitten in a box for x-number of days/weeks, people would have issues with it. why? why a kitten, and not a fish? what makes fish so different than kittens, or dogs, or goats, chickens, lizards? i may not be christian(and please, no bashing on that), but i still hold respect for all living beings, and i know enough to say to many of you who ARE christian, aren't fish, God's creatures too? why is it okay to torture them, be it in inhumane experiments like this or shoving them in tiny bowls or vases for decoration, but it's not okay to do something similar to a different creature? to me, "they're just fish" isn't an excuse in any way. because, they're not. they're living, breathing creatures.
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 AM   #15 
vaygirl

Late catching up. Pufferfish require a live or frozen diet (live snails, frozen bloodworms in Huey's case). Other then that and the need for lots of plants, they're pretty standard. And yes, dwarf puffers are very aggressive! They need to be alone, like bettas.
vaygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #16 
danifacetastic

I completely agree. It makes me so mad when people don't understand why I have my bettas in such a big tank. Or they'll tell me that bettas aren't worth having because they die so easily and proceed to tell me how they had their betta in a little unheated unfiltered bowl and it died quickly. Well yeah that's cause you didn't take care of it :p
danifacetastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #17 
CitrusKnight

This is exactly how my dad is acting when I said I wanted to get a Betta Fish, and then I go out looking at 10 and 5 gallon tanks to keep it in. He says "it's just a fish" and kept trying to get me tiny one gallon tanks, or 2 gallon tanks that were completely vertical with no room to put little things to hide in. He doesn't think that such a tiny fish needs something so big and was going based on all the tanks they had for sale that were supposedly "betta tanks". I kept telling him that if I was a fish there was no way I would want to stay in any of the tanks he was looking at while I was clinging onto the ten gallon one.

He had a betta fish that apparently lasted a year in a tiny bowl, so he keeps making all his statements off of that ;u; But I bet it wasn't happy. The betta fish I'm going to get this week will be my first one and I want it to be as happy as possible in its tank. In fact, I haven't really been this excited to get a pet in a really long time. . .
CitrusKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:11 PM   #18 
Pitluvs

I have to say my tropical fish are just fish to me, until I get to know them. For a good 2-3 weeks, they are just fish. I get them from the LPS and sometimes they don't make it. It hurts. After that 2-3 weeks is up, then I get to know them one on one and then they become more than just a fish, they are MY fish and my buddies. With no many losses and heartbreaks over the years, I tend to be a bit standoffish until I am confident they aren't going to leave me anytime soon! Like my 3 Danios I bought in June, all three are gone now :( They have names... Little Leopard, Golden Girl and Minnow. But the 3 I have left? I have had them the longest and I know each one by heart. My Swords are my favorite, always at the tank, sitting in my hand when I clean the water, swimming through my hands when they can. They love me. Took them weeks to get to this point, but they are amazing little fish!

Like most things in life, people who are not involved in it, don't understand it. I am sure 95% of those who think fish are just fish, would think different if they owned one. Just like 95% of people who think Pitbulls are vicious monsters, would think different if they owned one. Just do what I do... CONVERT THEM TO THE DARK SIDE! WE HAVE COOKIES! haha
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:15 PM   #19 
rmorgan14

I have a betta and it is funny because when i get out my camera it comes up to it like it is striking a pose and loves it!
rmorgan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:22 PM   #20 
Pitluvs

Ya, my Venom and Carnage hid like the camera was the plague, Ben actually strikes poses lol
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote