Betta Fish Forum banner

I'm a little worried about my betta?

588 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Sakura8 
#1 ·
I've had him for more than a year, don't even know how long. He's in a 5 gallon, heater, filter, etc everything he needs. I've been a little worried about lately. You see, here's his feeding schedule. He gets fed 3-4 pellets everyday, and after about 2-3 days he gets fed something special from the freezer like brine shrimp or beefheart.

That was all fine and well for months. After awhile I added a ghost shrimp and snail. It didn't work out. He got bloated from eating snail food and fought with the ghost shrimp. I had to take them back. I don't even know why I got them, it was stupid. Spur of the moment I guess. He had a case of bloating that never really went away but now it's the tiniest thing that you wouldn't even notice unless looking really close.

Now he's bloated again, and severely. I haven't been doing anything wrong. I admit I have been forgetting that one special day where you should fast them, but sometimes I just forget one day, I'm not irresponsible, though. I don't know if he's sick, or what.

Can anyone help me out? Advice? What happened that caused this? And how to prevent it in the future

#2 ·
Cut out the beefheart. I think beefheart is only good for certain large types of fish like arrowana and giant catfish (fish all over 24 inches in length). Instead of beefheart, try frozen bloodworms. Try fasting your guy for a few days until he shrinks a little. Also, are you sure you got all the ghost shrimp? Bettas often make snacks of ghost shrimp.

Finally, if your guy doesn't shrink with fasting, then I might be concerned the shrimp and snails brought a parasite or bacteria into your tank. If you think that might be the case, try putting your guy on Jungle Labs Anti-Bacterial Medicated Pellets.

I hope your little guy gets better soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.