Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 12:15 AM   #1 
Creat

Is it safe to feed a fish with dropsy?

So if you dont know I have a girl with dropsy who has looked horrid for more then the past week I didnt expect her to survive but she is she is swimming and controlling her buoyancy her only symptoms besides being swollen like mad is heavy breathing and being a little more lethargic. She used to have a hole in her fin it has now healed but my question for you before I get more off topic is I know that betta can go a long time without eating but she hasnt been eating for over a few weeks... I gave her a quarter of a bloodworm mind you i didnt see her eat it but it is gone. Is it safe to feed her if she accepts it?
I wanted to make a new thread cause this is a question geared more toward feeding dropsy fish... instead of solving her issue here is the thread on her...
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=74273
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 12:53 AM   #2 
Sakura8

It depends on the type of dropsy I think. If it was a dropsy caused by constipation bloating, I'd say no. But since the dropsy your girl has is an internal bacterial infection, I think it would be safe to try feeding her a high-protein food like frozen bloodworms. And only a tiny bit. Probably no pellets or freeze-dried foods because they expand and could cause the dropsy to get worse.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:11 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Nutrition is really important part of health and overall well being...this is the energy for the fish that supports the immune response and keep the system running......True that a fish can go a fairly long time without food, however, its not recommended.....fast for 3 days at the most with some issues, true there are some problems that you may need to hold food a bit longer or reduce amount of food intake....IMO/E-with drospy-this being a symptom of many different issues that affect our fish......if the Betta is willing to eat...fed it...give it the tools so that it can help it self....one of these tools is nutrition......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #4 
Creat

Thanks ofl I am going to see if I can mash it up better for her to eat.
Creat is offline   Reply With Quote