Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:07 AM   #1 
Fregley2bettafish

Not eating

Ok so i got my fish 4days ago and he doesn't eat! I think that my fish bowl is perfect for him. I try to feed him once a day,clean his bowl weekly, have marbels at the bottom, abd a plastic plant (im gonna get a real underwater one soon) So What Could be wrong please help. Oh yeah and i also put betta wAter conditipner in it?! Please help
Fregley2bettafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #2 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of Betta keeping.....

Often new Bettas need time to adjust to their new environment and some can take longer than others to start to eat....keep offering food daily-but be sure and remove any uneaten food within 20-30 min...also, offer a varied diet...sometimes adding a couple of different food items will help.....

Maintain the proper environment is also important for the appetite.....both water quality and temp.......if your tank is 1-4gal in size without a filter.....make twice weekly water changes....1-50% and 1-100% weekly...with a filter twice weekly 50%......try to keep the water temp within a couple of degrees between new and old water with water changes and Always use dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes....try and maintain a somewhat stable water temp in the 76-80F range.....

Love to see some pics and hear more about your Betta.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #3 
Shimizoki

OFL basically has you covered... I thought I would just say hi and welcome you to the forums.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:51 PM   #4 
Lion Mom

"Always use dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes..."

Really??? I have never done that! Should I be???
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM   #5 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Mom View Post
"Always use dechlorinator for the full volume of the tank even with partial water changes..."

Really??? I have never done that! Should I be???
Its a good general rule to follow with partial water changes of 50% or greater.....you can't overdose dechlorinator.......well... if you used 100gal worth in 1gal it might stress the fish.....or if you use the product with aloe vera since it can bind with the gill fillaments and that can hinder gas exchange...but it takes fairly big overdose.......
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:31 PM   #6 
Lion Mom

Thanks, OFL - never knew that!!!

I use Prime and I DO add a little extra in summer since I know they up the stuff they put in the water here to help fight bacteria - at least I'm CONVINCED they do! LOL!!!
Lion Mom is offline   Reply With Quote