Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2011, 03:03 AM   #31 
Sakura8

Hi Whesandra. No, I don't need updates but I do enjoy them. It's good knowing what you are doing so I don't suggest something you've already done. Plus, it's just plain interesting.

I'm glad Benny seems to be recovering! He really had me worried, I wasn't sure he was going to make it through last night. He's definitely giving me hope now.

The white film is probably his slime coat coming off because he's sick. The Stress Coat will help him reform a new slime coat. And his gills are definitely burned; he may have some scar tissue there a little later on. And yeah, I think the white crusts are scabbing ammonia burns. They should eventually come off and he'll regrow new scales.

Oh, I'm glad you got a heater. Even if it only keeps it at 78, that's fine. It'll mean you can keep him somewhere easier for you than the freezer. Ironic, isn't it, keeping him on the freezer to keep him warm.

I'm really glad I could help you and Benny and I'm feeling a little more optimistic about Benny's chances. That he's eating is a very good sign. Definitely keep me posted.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #32 
flowerslegacy

Hi Whesandra, I'm so glad to see that Benny is doing better!! Since you purchased the small, pre-set heater, just keep an eye on it for the first few days. I purchased one and placed it in my 2.5 gal too. It was "guaranteed 78 up to 3 gals". I watched it for 24 hours and it was fine. But within 48 hours the temp climbed to 88 degrees. I don't believe this is normal, but I've read a few postings on this forum regarding other folks that experienced the same thing. However, LOTS of folks have never had issues. I know Benny is stressed (and so are you!) so you don't need anything else to freak you out! Just keep an eye on it and if it's good after a few days, it'll be fine. We're pulling for you!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:52 AM   #33 
Whesandra

Flowers, thanks for the heads-up! D8 The heater is holding steady so far, but I'll warn my sister to keep an eye on it. (I have to work days this week, so I don't get to be home with Benny as much. :/ )

Sakura, yeah, I thought it was amusing, too, that I was using the freezer to keep Benny warm, but I was so focused on trying to treat him, I never got around to mentioning it. XD

I bought Benny a new air stone today, so I put his bubbler back in just because, without it, all the green tea settled to the bottom and I thought it might be better to mix it up?

I also bought him some frozen bloodworms, but he wasn't interested in them. :/ He hasn't eaten anything today, though we tried garlic-soaked pellets a few times. :( He had some little poops in his net, though.

Today he's not breathing heavily like he was before. In fact, he sits so motionless, I get nervous and have to tap his cage just to make sure he moves. He spends all his time resting, but he still swims up every now and again for air, so I guess he's OK. I suppose this is an improvement?

I did another 100% water change tonight with 20 drops Stress Coat, no salt, and a bag of green tea steeped in his tank.

I was going to add salt again just to see if he would react, but I wasn't sure what would be best, so I held off. Could the lack of salt have helped his breathing? Should I put salt in again tomorrow?

Thanks, you guys. <3
Whesandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:08 AM   #34 
Sakura8

Hmm. I'm glad he's not breathing as heavily. I'm not sure if the salt had anything to do with it; often when a fish is having gill troubles, salt can help them breathe, but only in certain cases such as gill hyperplasia. Since Benny is breathing better without the salt, I would suggest leaving it out for another day and seeing if his breathing and activity level improves. I don't want to mistake lighter breathing for better breathing, though, since lighter breathing can also mean less strength to breathe. If his breathing continues to get lighter but his activity level doesn't improve, it might be time to try the salt again.

That's too bad Benny wasn't interested in food today but keep trying. How are you feeding the frozen bloodworms? I usually take a cube and let it thaw enough that I can use tweezers to take a few worms and feed them. You can also soak the worms in garlic juice if you want.

Having the bubbler won't hurt anything so that's good you got it fixed.

I hope Benny continues to improve. I know it's very hard just watching and waiting. Hang in there!
Old 07-14-2011, 01:20 AM   #35 
Whesandra

Yeah, I'm worried, too, that lighter breathing just means weaker breathing. :/ I don't know. DX This is wearing my nerves down... Nothing to do but wait and see, though. :( At least I feel like he's more comfortable now than he was a few days ago. :( I just have to remind myself I'm trying my best and try not to let it get me down. :(

The guy at the pet store said (I think) to cut the bloodworm cube in half and just drop it in the tank, but that struck me as a very bad idea ANYWAY, and an especially bad idea since Benny's just in a little net and the ice would freeze him to death. D: So I thawed the cube out on a plate and fished a few worms out with a knife and dropped them in his water. I also tried soaking them in garlic along with his pellets. (The box should really come with instructions. :/ )
Old 07-14-2011, 01:52 AM   #36 
Sakura8

Tweezers work super well with worms. And you can keep the thawed worms in the fridge for up to two days. I sure hope he gets back to eating. I'll be honest, I'm still worried that Benny's age is catching up to him. :/

Yup, just hang in there. You ARE doing the very best you can and just remember, Benny has lived a good long life with you, don't forget that.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:54 PM   #37 
Whesandra

R.I.P. Abendego "Benny"

Sad news: I woke up this morning to find that Benny had died overnight. :(

Thank you all for your enormous help and caring hearts. <3 This has been quite an experience. If I ever have a betta relying on me for care again, I'll be so much more prepared, and I know where to come for help. ;-; Thanks. <3
Old 07-14-2011, 04:52 PM   #38 
bettaboyshiva

Try some binox by jungle and some aquarium salt next time!...for bacteria/fungus...and change water every 2 days when its ill...regular water changes will decrease the size of the bacterial population... this fish looks like one i saw at the pet store a few days ago...wonder why he was still for sale thou..

Last edited by bettaboyshiva; 07-14-2011 at 04:54 PM.
bettaboyshiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:06 PM   #39 
flowerslegacy

Oh Whesandra, I'm so sorry. You worked so hard for your little guy and always know that you did your best. I love his name - Abendego. Remember that you rescued him from his "fiery furnace" of the petstore. He had a long, wonderful life with you! Hope to see you on the forum again soon.
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:27 PM   #40 
Sakura8

I'm so sorry, Whesandra. Benny fought a good long fight and so did you. But he also lived a good long life before passing and that's important to remember. And I'm certain he knew how much he was loved and how much you and your sister cared.

Tags
adopted, clueless, dying, emergency, fungus