Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 01:21 PM   #1 
Umran

Talking What other fish can live with my Betta♥

I have a betta fish in a half a gallon bowl and it has a tunnel thing in it and some decorations and I was wondering what other common fish can go in there... for example guppies or goldfish. I'm going to the pet store today and they have a lot of exotic fish and they're soo pretty. So I'm just gonna get one more fish, about the size of the betta, but my betta can get along with it and not kill it so any ideas of fish? Thanks!

Last edited by Umran; 07-11-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Umran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #2 
Shimizoki

From what I know of goldfish they need a much larger tank than whatever you have to be happy... also they are a bit colder of water and have diseases so they aren't recommended. (That's just stuff I have read here)

Most of the other fish people have mentioned keeping prefer to be in groups, so you may not have much luck with them.

Also, a half gallon tank isnt even large enough for a betta, let alone a tank mate. You should upsize your tank before thinking about another fish.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Welcome to the forum....

In a half gallon tank....I would not recommend adding any other fish....the smallest size tank that you can safely add some-allbeit limited- species of fish along with the Betta is 10gal

When you stock a tank it is important that you meet the needs of all the fish and other livestock....based on adult size of the fish, territory needs, swimming needs, chemistry and temp needs...etc.......

The half gallon for the Betta is barely large enough for it alone....be sure and make the proper water changes of 2-50% and 1-100% a week to maintain water quality to prevent health problems.....sadly it is too small to safely add a heater but you still need to monitor the water temp to maintain it in the 76-80F range.....

Good luck and love to see some pics.....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:31 PM   #4 
bettafish15

A half gallon tank is too small for a betta, let alone anything else. Please upgrade him to at least a gallon! The bigger the better, because bettas need heaters to keep the water at 77-82F. They are tropical fish. If you were to get a 10g you could get some fish tankmates, but no smaller. If you got him a 5g you could get some shrimp or snails to go in with him. But again, please upgrade, and until you do, you need to do 100% DAILY water changes to keep him healthy, bad water quality means a dead fish. :/
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #5 
Shimizoki

Oh yea, I guess I should welcome you to the forums aswell... Hiya!
Old 07-11-2011, 01:38 PM   #6 
Umran

How big should the tank be to have 2 fish in there?

Last edited by Umran; 07-11-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Umran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:49 PM   #7 
Shimizoki

OFL recommended a 10gal, however with a betta and some small fish you MIGHT be able to get away with a hair less.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:52 PM   #8 
MaggieLynn

In a 5 gal you could possibly do a cory cat or two. Im not sure just the betta and another fish is good, usually you go with schooling fish. but im new to the whole tank mates
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #9 
bettafish15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umran View Post
How big should the tank be to have 2 fish in there?
Two fish? 10g. Most fish are schooling fish, so need to be in groups of 4+ which requires a 10g. Bettas arent schooling fish, so of course you cant put them together, just in case you were wondering :P
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:57 PM   #10 
Shimizoki

I believe as bettafish said cory cats need 4+, however I have heard you can do 3+. I'm sure it matters based off the type of fish.

Tags
betta, fruma, umran