Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #1 
Alienchick017

Fin Rot?

Hi, I'm new on here and just got 3 new bettas(2 males,1 female). How is the best way to treat fin rot? One of my males has it pretty bad but I don't know what I should buy to treat it and considering the condition of the water all the bettas were in at petsmart I'm afraid they would give me bad advice or something.
Alienchick017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Hi Alienchick and welcome to the forum. First, can I get a few details about how you're keeping your bettas? Like tank size, temperature and if they have a heater. Also how often you change the water and how much you change. This info will help a lot in deciding how best to treat your bettas.

Are you sure it's fin rot and not just some fin rippage/tearing? Fin rot has black edges, sometimes inflamed red going up the tail, and the fin can come off in large chunks at a time. Pics would be appreciated if you can.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #3 
Alienchick017

I'm actually not positive that its fin rot but he does have almost half of his tail missing and when I got him it was darker around the edges but now its not. I am temporarily keeping the 2 males in a divided 1/2 gallon tank. And the only heat is from a lamp. I had read that in a small bowl or tank they need 100% water changes either daily or every other day but I just got them the day before yesterday and was afraid maybe the 2nd male was acting strange because he was stressed from being some where new and I didn't want to make him worse. The one with fin missing doesn't act sickly at all but the other 1 hasn't eaten since I got him and he hardly moves around at all. When I got them and got out to the car the water in the cup was especially stirred up and I noticed the 2nd male had a lot of cloudy looking white stuff in his water and now it is in his half of the tank. Should I put him in a different bowl or just treat them together because they are sharing the same water? Do you think moving them to a warmer spot in the house would help at least for a couple days until I can get them a better home? Should I go ahead and do the water change to get that white stuff out even if he is stressed? I ended up getting these particular bettas because they looked so rough and I felt so bad for them but I hope me bringing them home without a big tank and a heater hasn't hurt them worse :(
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #4 
Sakura8

Hmm. It may not be fin rot but it sounds pretty close. I would suggest using a water conditioner such as API Stress Coat; it contains ingredients that will help healing.

Two males in a 1/2 gallon means you definitely want to change the water 100% every day. They'll get more stressed with dirty water than they will from a few minutes of water chages. Ammonia is going to build up very fast so I don't advise this setup for more than a few days at the most. You CAN keep two males in a divided 5 gallon easily, though. You can also fit a heater easily into a 5g. I don't recommend dividing anything smaller than a 5g, though.

Both guys can probably benefit from the same treatment right now so if it's the most convenient for you, you can leave them together. You'll want to get some aquarium salt at the pet store and dissolve slightly less than half a teaspoon in a little bit of water. Pour that into their container with them. When you change the water every day, redo the salt treatment. Keep this up for a few days or until you get them a bigger tank. Once in the bigger tank, you can post its size and I'll work out new dosing for you.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:37 PM   #5 
Alienchick017

Thank you sooo much. I am defiantly going to get them a bigger tank. And I'm using stress coat to take the chlorine out of the water, is that the same as the stress coat that you are talking about? Its been a long while since we have had bettas. My mom and grandmother got them when everyone was keeping them in vases with peace lillies and my moms would always last a year or two but my grandmoms betta lived for probably 5 years and I always knew it was because she changed him into a vase that was almost like a fish bowl and it was huge(almost 2 gallons). She changed his water every 3 days or so and he was like family we all talked to him so much. If she would have known that they don't "belong" in vases she would have had him decked out in a 10 gal with a heater and filter and he would have lived forever(lol).
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 PM   #6 
Sakura8

It's strange how some bettas have survived in adverse conditions for years beyond their normal lifespan. There was a thread not long ago that someone started about a friend's betta who lived in water that was never changed, had no heater, etc, and lived for 5 or 6 years. That your grandmom changed her betta's water every 3 days definitely contributed to his longevity.

Yup, same Stress Coat. It's a good product, I like it a lot.

Definitely post back when you've upgraded everyone. And post pics, I'd love to see your bettas.

Tags
fin rot