Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 
bettafish15

Silly Wild Betta Questions~

So, I was looking at all the pretty wild bettas on aquabid, and I actually like the look of them. Theres this one girl I really like~ One day in the far future when I have money, and I were to get one/pair, how different are their needs?

Most bettas on there are advertised as pairs, and so I would need two tanks since I do not plan to breed ever, now what size would be the minimum for one? I'm thinking 10 gallons because they are wild bettas, but am I thinking too small?

Also, what are their dietary needs? It seems they need a lower PH than my 7, how do I go about keeping the PH low without having to add things every water change?

It will be a super long time until I can get some wild bettas of my own, but I figure I might as well ask and satisfy my curiousity, and maybe this thread will prove useful for people who are also thinking of wild bettas. :) Thanks!
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:26 AM   #2 
Sakura8

Are you thinking 10 gallons per betta? They'd probably appreciate the space a lot. I think, being wild, they would need to be acclimated with live foods like live worms and mosquito larva but I'd imagine you'd be able to train them to eat pellets eventually. And I wouldn't worry about the pH too much. Fish will generally adapt. But a few things you can do to lower pH are using tannins such as Indian Almond Leaf, or clean and naturally dried crushed oak leaves, or decaffeinated green tea. Also using aquarium peat or blackwater extract could lower pH as well as make the wild bettas feel more at home (the water would be a more natural color to them).

If you ever do get a wild betta, post pics immediately! We wanna see!
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #3 
bettafish15

Yeah, I was thinking 10g per betta, since they're wilds, and idk I would just feel bad if they were in anything less. :P Alright, so I guess if I do get them I'd have to stock up on live foods from the city. How long do bloodworms last in the freezer? As long as anything else? Do you just pick off a chunk and let it thaw just that chunk when you feed?

You're right, I wont worry about the PH since it's not like mine is 8 or something, 7.0 is a good PH. If I can get IAL I will, but this is all down the road anyways so we'll see.

Thanks for helping! :D
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:43 AM   #4 
Sakura8

I use a flat pack of bloodworms at the moment so I just break off a chunk and let it thaw in the fridge, then use tweezers to feed the worms. I usually don't let the thawed ones stay in the fridge longer than 2 days. They turn a nasty brown color after that. You can easily cultivate mosquito larva though by setting up a bucket outside with something kinda decaying in it. After a few days, you'll see the larva at the top and you just use a brine shrimp net to scoop them out. The only thing is you have to be careful not to let the larva develop into actual mosquitos. If you start to get a lot of larva, you can put a guppy or two in there to keep the population under control.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:55 PM   #5 
gbose

Sakura,

I experimented with mosquito larvae, but they all hatched too soon -- and now I have mosquitoes

Good point about putting in a guppy, but when does this end? larvae for the betta, guppy to control larvae, more larvae to feed guppy.....

GB
gbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:05 PM   #6 
Sakura8

You have a very good point, there with the whole endless chain thing. I've heard you can freeze mosquito larvae, just pour them and some water into ice cube trays. But then they're sort of not . . . live . . . anymore, which defeats the purpose of culturing live food.

You can get wingless fruitfly cultures online, too. And daphnia cultures. Probably even bloodworm cultures.