Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #1 
Nolacrazygrl

Upgraded to Fluval Chi Tank...

So I started out with a bowl at work like this and noticed Waldo was very lazy and napping most of the time:

So I brought him home and upgraded him to this:

This is the 5 gallon Fluval Chi Tank. Waldo seems much happier and lively but I have questions.

I know Bettas are pretty strong fish most of the time. I'm using distilled water (the tap in my area is very hard). I'm using a Betta conditioner and also one that came with the tank -- can't remember type at the moment.

I have the filter/light system on a 12 hour timer because there is not a light cycle or light switch on this tank to give him day and night cycles. Are there any negatives to doing this?

I've had the tank for about month and the water has stayed pretty crystal clear without changing. Any suggestions on how often filter cartridge changes should be done?

I feed him approx 4-5 pellets of food twice a day and there usually is never any left over but my boyfriend thinks I'm overfeeding.

I'm just curious what's best to keep Waldo healthy without performing the amount of care needed to something like a saltwater tank.

I had a betta long ago that lived about 4 years with just weekly water changes and no chemicals or filters so I know that they are pretty easy to keep happy & healthy but have never done so with a filtered tank.

Thanks! :)
Nolacrazygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:19 PM   #2 
Shimizoki

I've read that its bad to give them distilled water. I would double check that. Besides that I think he will be happy with his new home.

4-5 pellets a day might be ok. I do 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening and fasting on friday.

Don't know about your other questions though.
Welcome to the forums.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM   #3 
Pitluvs

I do have to say with a filtered tank of 5gal or larger, you should be doing a 25% water change a week.

Filters, I usually let mine go a month since my tanks are not over stocked. I put the new filter behind the old one, as changing a filter 100% can make you do a mini cycle (boost the ammonia, nitrites for about a week).
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:39 PM   #4 
Nolacrazygrl

Ok so I've looked up issues with the distilled and I'm going to gradually change him out of that. I had no idea since the aquarium box suggested it

And for the food -- he's eating 8-10 pellets a day- all of them - not just 4.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:44 PM   #5 
Shimizoki

Oooops I missed the twice a day thing... you might be over feeding him. I read that the stomach is about the size of their eye. Also the pellets expand slightly. Overfeeding can also lead to disease. I'll let a more experienced owner answer that one though.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:52 PM   #6 
Nolacrazygrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimizoki View Post
Oooops I missed the twice a day thing... you might be over feeding him. I read that the stomach is about the size of their eye. Also the pellets expand slightly. Overfeeding can also lead to disease. I'll let a more experienced owner answer that one though.
I have noticed that he's not eating the pellets until they actually soften up so he's not consuming the "just put in the tank" unexpanded pellets if that helps anyone answer. It seems like he makes them stretch throughout the day.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:26 PM   #7 
bahamut285

Distilled water is pretty horrible for them because it is unstable. If your water is "just hard" then it is totally okay to put them in it (Unless of course your water is considered to be "liquid rock").

How hard is your water? I've got a waterchem guide in my sig. My water hardness is 150GH in my tanks and they're okay... I've heard water softeners in homes actually are not good for fish because it adds salt into the water to cleanse it of heavy ions.
bahamut285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:45 PM   #8 
FiShFiShFiShFiSh

Goreous tank, and even prettier betta :) Yes, feeding 4-5 pellets twice a day is overfeeding, you should cut him down to 3 or 4 a DAY, not twice a day. Slowly though, so you don't stress him out by cutting down his food supply so fast...I stretch out the 3-4 pellets over the day, so that it is not one huge meal. It's like having a small breakfast, lunch, and dinner, versus just a hige dinner. I feed him 1 when I wake up, one in the afternoon, and 2 before bed :) Hope this helped!
FiShFiShFiShFiSh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #9 
Arashi Takamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiShFiShFiShFiSh View Post
Goreous tank, and even prettier betta :) Yes, feeding 4-5 pellets twice a day is overfeeding, you should cut him down to 3 or 4 a DAY, not twice a day. Slowly though, so you don't stress him out by cutting down his food supply so fast...I stretch out the 3-4 pellets over the day, so that it is not one huge meal. It's like having a small breakfast, lunch, and dinner, versus just a hige dinner. I feed him 1 when I wake up, one in the afternoon, and 2 before bed :) Hope this helped!
I think that should also depend on the betta and their food type. I feed NLS Small Fish Formula and because their so small my betta's get six to eight pellets twice a day. (They're barly two mm.)
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:59 PM   #10 
bettafish15

In that tank, you need to do 25-50% weekly water changes, using tap water with dechlorinator, and feed him no more than 3-4 pellets each day. :)
bettafish15 is offline   Reply With Quote