Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 04:51 PM   #1 
fightergirl2710

Exclamation Help for internal parasites!

My oldest boy Azure has over the span of the last year lost a lot of weight but he was acting alright so somehow (like an idiot) I didn't pay much attention to it. After being on the forum, I started realising it may be parasites and today, it was proved. He has a white wormy thing coming out of his anus. This would be an internal parasite right?
I'm starting on the 100% water changes and epsom salt+ IAL tomorrow. I also want to medicate but I'm not sure what to use. The brands of medications mentioned in the diseases and treatments page are not available to me, although the actual meds may be. PP would be available to me. Should I treat with that? If so, what should the dosage be?
Thanks guys!

Quote:
Housing
What size is your tank? 2 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 26-28 C
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No but the room is warm with steady temps
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, he had a snail once in 6 gallons but I removed it

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Live/ freeze dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? 1-2 times a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 1-2 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator, IAL

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Skinny for long time, has worm sticking out, down there..
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Not as such
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Realised there was a problem a few weeks ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Not yet except IAL
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Yes bad fin rot when I bought him 2 years ago... Fins never grew back as such.
How old is your fish (approximately)? 2and 1/2 give or take.
fightergirl2710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:16 PM   #2 
flowerslegacy

Hi Fightergirl,
I had this issue when I brought home my new VT and Darkmoon really helped me out. Tetra's Parasite Clear was reccommended. I would totally trust Darkmoon's direction too. I certainly do not know much about diseases, outside of ich. For my personal issue, I used API's General Cure, and it worked for me. However, the Tetra product is really more specific for your issue. Darkmoon stated that Tetra had purchased Jungle because originally I had looked for Jungle's Parasite Clear. You could also PM Darkmoon, but I'm sure you'll get lots of hits to help you out. I hope Azure is feeling better soon!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #3 
fightergirl2710

Thanks, flowerslegacy! My problem though, is that these medicines aren't available to me :(. They aren't sold where I live, that's why I need a generic name and a dosage...
Hopefully, I can get the dosage for the potassium permangnate, it's the most widely available treatment in the list for me :).
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 
flowerslegacy

Sorry Fightergirl - I didn't see that you were out of country! I've only had one medical emergency so far and Sakura and Darkmoon responded right away. I'm sure you'll get some hits on this issue! Sorry I couldn't help more!
flowerslegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:35 PM   #5 
fightergirl2710

That's alright! Your support helps too :D! I'm sure I'll get a few hits... Many helpful people out there
Old 07-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #6 
fightergirl2710

I'm just bumping this before I go to bed!
Old 07-11-2011, 11:55 PM   #7 
Sakura8

The medicines in the Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite Medicated Pellets that DarkMoon recommends are metronidazole, raziquantel, and levamisole. I don't know if you can get those, though. Proziquantel helps too, I think. Can you get daphnia? It's good for purging unwanted things.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #8 
fightergirl2710

Yes, I have daphnia, I still have the metro but not the other 2... Gah, so confused...
Old 07-12-2011, 12:02 AM   #9 
Sakura8

Try the daphnia and the metro, then. I don't think epsom salt will work all by itself.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 AM   #10 
fightergirl2710

Yeah, I read in a lot of places online that the levimasole is good... What do you think? Should I panic now and PM Darkmoon or wait? D: