Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #1 
Neems

Friend for miss piggy

Hi ,
Yesterday I put my female Plakat in a 20 gallon :) Her sister is still in the shop I purchased her from and I would love to get her too, its just miss piggy in such a big tank I'm hoping they would get along? there are many hiding spaces I just worry that miss piggy is too cheeky ( very fast and gets into everything) anyone have suggestions on whether or not to give her a buddy?

also XD um I worry about Ms. P because shes a little daft ! I have terracotta pots and fake plants in there, which she insists on squeezing through. She's a little fat and loves to find terribly small holes wriggle through. I think one day she will get stuck ! she also loves to swim against the fall of the filter ..??
oh Ms.P
Neems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:00 PM   #2 
Neems

Bump * :/
Old 07-11-2011, 06:15 PM   #3 
pumpkinspikepie

Hello!
If you want to buy the other female, you're going to want to either make a sorority (a tank of at least four females) or divide the tank into two sections, one side for each female. Even though your fish are sisters, female bettas can be equally aggressive as males, and might fight each other. If you have several females together, they won't pick on each other as much (at least, they shouldn't gang up on each other).

As for the squeezing into small spaces, you should try and minimize the risk of her getting stuck by blocking the hole in the pots. I read on here that bettas will try their best to get into any space, so you want to check each hole in each decoration by sticking your thumb through the hole; if your thumb fits, it's safe for your betta to swim through. If not, you should try and block it off.

Hope this helps!
pumpkinspikepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #4 
Neems

Hey
thanks for the reply, and yes it does help indeed. I will wait until I can get to a bigger store where there will be more females and perhaps purchase 3 or 4, I think they would do well in a 20 gallon and Iv gone around and made any small holes bigger or blocked them :)
thanks again :D
Old 07-11-2011, 09:35 PM   #5 
TheBlueBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinspikepie View Post
Hello!
If you want to buy the other female, you're going to want to either make a sorority (a tank of at least four females) or divide the tank into two sections, one side for each female. Even though your fish are sisters, female bettas can be equally aggressive as males, and might fight each other. If you have several females together, they won't pick on each other as much (at least, they shouldn't gang up on each other).

As for the squeezing into small spaces, you should try and minimize the risk of her getting stuck by blocking the hole in the pots. I read on here that bettas will try their best to get into any space, so you want to check each hole in each decoration by sticking your thumb through the hole; if your thumb fits, it's safe for your betta to swim through. If not, you should try and block it off.

Hope this helps!
Pretty much what she said
TheBlueBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote