Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #1 
Pataflafla

Add Another to the Total

My sister and I now own 12 bettas. 6 girls and 6 boys, 2 of which are mine.

We went to Petsmart to grab some parasite medication for a friend's fish. We saw a little, pathetic looking crowntail among the nicer ones there. He's definitely been eating his fins and doing terribly. I felt really bad for him and caved in. So now my 10 gallon is divided twice to make room for my sister's male, Toad, while we wait for his new owner to get a tank set up for him, and for another crowntail my sister bought a week or two ago.

The poor, new guy has to be in the quarter gallon hospital tank because he's so ragged, thin, and parasite ridden. Not to mention his gills are swollen. He's currently got some aquarium salt in with him as well as some parasite meds to hopefully counteract his problems in time. If he survives the night, he will probably be called Edward Cullen, not because I'm a fan of Twilight, but because he has a silver wash that sparkles in the sunlight.

He'll be getting a treatment of epsom salt, aquarium salt, and parasite meds tomorrow after a water change if he makes it. I'll try and get some pictures of him up later tonight if he's alive when I get home.

The list is now: Frog, Toad, Sicamore, Pants, Oak, Elm, Hester, Lyra, Courage, Ratchet, Yorick, and possibly Edward. Maybe.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Here's the new guy. Hard to believe he's already improved in the few hours we've had him.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2011, 07:58 PM   #3 
Shimizoki

Hey look at that... he seems to be in good care. Keep it up and I hope he recovers well.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:14 PM   #4 
Luimeril

fin issues are easy to care for. :3 he's totally adorable, and totally pathetic-looking. i'd have caved, too! >w<
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM   #5 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luimeril View Post
fin issues are easy to care for. :3 he's totally adorable, and totally pathetic-looking. i'd have caved, too! >w<
Yeah, he just needs some clean water and treatment for his parasites for now. I'm not gonna try to feed him until a little later. Parasites come first though since he's having some swim bladder issues most likely caused by them and poor water conditions. I'm gonna have to post some before and after pictures for him.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #6 
Pataflafla

He just went through his first water change and seems to be minimally stressed and doing ok. Changed 90% of the water since a majority of the quarantine tank was filled with his cup water from the store. Water has been treated for parasites with medication, epsom salt, and aquarium salt as well as overdosing on dechlorinator.stress coat to help him along faster.

He managed to eat 1 small pellet a few hours ago and will probably get another one in a little bit. He's perked up a little more, but is still at risk of not making it the night. I'll update tomorrow on his progress.

On a second note, adding a second divider to my 10 gallon has caused ratchet to freak out and once again contract ick, which means the entire tank had to be treated once again.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:31 PM   #7 
Adabell

I'd name him Snapdragon if he was mine, but he isn't so you can choose whatever name you feel like. Out of the names on your list I seem to like the name Sicamore. It has a nice ring to it. Well, you should have his fins repaired in no time at all. I'm glad that you caved in and took him from the store.
Adabell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #8 
fleetfish

Poor boy ... I hate seeing bettas like that. But he'll be a beautiful betta once he's better. Glad he found you!
fleetfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #9 
Pataflafla

Since the new guy lived through the night, I now have to give him a name. Unfortunately, Edward seems to be sticking.

He went through another water change and redosing of salts and medication as well as lowering of water. It's currently staying at 80 degrees, but has cooled down from 90 degrees when I first changed it about 4 hours ago. I bought a 10 watt heater to keep temperatures up hopefully or at least keep them from going too low, since I woke up this morning to find my 10 gallon which has a heater down to 76 degrees.

Edward does not have the luxury of evil aquarium lights that heat the tank by like 4 degrees when left on, so he's in need of a heater since floating him in with either of the boys or the sorority would be very stressful for him. And Ratchet's side is out of candidacy for floating since he'll flare until he tears.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adabell View Post
I'd name him Snapdragon if he was mine, but he isn't so you can choose whatever name you feel like. Out of the names on your list I seem to like the name Sicamore. It has a nice ring to it. Well, you should have his fins repaired in no time at all. I'm glad that you caved in and took him from the store.
I might do that and have Edward as a nickname. all of those names weren't possibilities, those are the names of all the fish we have with us. 12 bettas, 6 tanks.

So far we've got possibly 2 sororities going on too with the 6 females. 3 in a 10 gallon and 3 in 5 gallon. The smaller girls are in the 5 gallon since the other 3 bully them like no tomorrow.