Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2011, 07:36 PM   #1 
elijahfeathers

Ranting here-- Marientland Stealth Pro 10 watt nearly cooked my fish!

So this is partly the fault of a defective thermometer.... just got hit with a doublewhammy I guess.

A weekish ago I bought a heater for my 2 gall tank. It didn't turn on. I went back to petsmart. I decided to pay the extra and just get a marienland heater for smaller tanks. It said it was preset to 74 and would heat up to 3 gallons of water.The fish I had in with it was unhappy, but I figured that was mostly due to the bare-bottom QT2 gallon tank.

Anyway, I get my lovely new 2.5. I set it up. Put in the heater. Several hours later my fish is lethargic, starting to list, and goign belly up. I cup him, and realize his water is kinda warm. I feel my 10 gallon. Deff warmer than my 10 gallon which I keep at 80. My thermomiter in the 2.5 is showing like 70something degrees. appropriate range. I pluck the thermomiter from inside the 10 gallon.

NINETY. DEGREES. NINETY! 90!!! No wonder my fish was doing horribly! I got him in some cooler water and he's perking right up and swimming around again. ugh. One heater that doesn't work, and one that fries my tank!
elijahfeathers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:40 PM   #2 
Pitluvs

Sounds like what happened to me! I had a 50w for my 10gal, just as a precaution on cooler nights. WELL, one night I turned it on and went to bed. I woke up the next morning and my thermo said 88F!! My fish were used to 73-75F. It nearly cooked my fish! It was one of them preset ones from WalMart (Tetra). I'm going to buy a new one someday and put the old one in the box and take it back LOL

Glad your fishes is ok!! How scary!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 07:42 PM   #3 
elijahfeathers

Funny think is, I've got a tetra in my 5 gallon that keeps the water right at 80. It's great.

I just don't know what to get now for the 2.5 gallon. I'm feeling pretty upset, and could use some ideas.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #4 
Pitluvs

Im lost, sorry. I need heaters for mine too and no one seems to come up with names and where to buy when I ask. Good luck!
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #5 
Arashi Takamine

That's strange...I have the same one but Akira's true colors came out at the temp it keeps it at. It's kept at 80 it's a 10 watt too...Maybe it malfunctioned.
Arashi Takamine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:22 PM   #6 
elijahfeathers

Maybe. I'll return it I suppose. I'm tempted to ask for a refund, but I'll try another one. No fish in while I see if it heats tho. >>
Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM   #7 
CyerRyn

Because of the heat and humidity during the summer and not really able to think of a good way of cooling down my tanks, my boys wind up in about 90F water.. and they never act any differently than when its the 82F I prefer it to be. I'm surprised your fish reacted like such, unless he's older. I hear they become more finicky the older they get.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:05 PM   #8 
elijahfeathers

I think it was the 10 degree jump over the span of a few hours that did it to him.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:06 PM   #9 
CyerRyn

Oh yeah! It probably shocked him! :( Glad he's perked up since though! I'd honestly take it back and find an adjustable knob one.
CyerRyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:07 PM   #10 
elijahfeathers

I was looking but tbh I don't know if there are adjustable ones for 2.5 gallon tanks. 8C