Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 08:16 PM   #1 
Nyjas16

new fish with ragged fins

I can't type much since im on my phone, but I got this little guy after seeing him on the shelf for 2 weeks. he is very active but his fins are a little weird looking but not dark around the edges. Could it be fin rot? Or is it just torn?
Attached Images

Nyjas16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:22 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

He may have been tail biting if he was in a cup or stressed out. If you want to help it heal faster: Clean water around 80*F and 1 tsp aquarium salt per gallon. A high protein diet will also help.

Depending on tank size, you should change the water frequently since bettas release a lot of ammonia.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:34 PM   #3 
Silverfang

I'm not sure about the edge of the fins, but if you're uncertain just make sure to give him lots of clean water. If he has rot, or torn fins, or chewed his fins, that will help it clear up and prevent rot. Since you just got him it might clear up with regular water changes, feel free to add in aquarium salt, that pat recommended, and yes, a good diet is important!
Live foods are considered the best, but frozen bloodworms will be devoured. A good pellet is also beneficial. I like to feed my boy 2 pellets in the morning, and 2-3 frozen (not freeze dried) blood worms in the evening.
Silverfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:26 PM   #4 
Nyjas16

Thanks for the replies! Im home now so I can type a bit more. I saw him 2 weeks ago and wanted him and everytime I went, I checked on him, so I told myself that if he was still there today, that I would buy him. He is now in a 2.5 gallon QT tank and once I make sure he is healthy (and order the divider), he will be going into a divided 10 gallon tank next to my crowntail. I will do the frequent water changes and watch him to see if it gets worse.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #5 
Nyjas16

Different angle
Attached Images