Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 10:03 PM   #1 
ninjaofthe9seas

Talking Brand new fish!

Also, new user. Hi all :3

Anyway, i got a new fishie today! I just put the water in the tank and he's sitting in his little betta cup floating in the water. My question is, is it 15 or 20 mins he's supposed to sit in the water before adding him, and if i should wait longer since the water is new or not.
I put water conditioner in the water, and a bit of aquarium salt. Also there is an amazon sword in there. This is my second betta, the first didnt last too long sadly, so if you have any general lesser known tips that would be helpful, let me know please.

Thanks for any help!!
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #2 
Pataflafla

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjaofthe9seas View Post
Also, new user. Hi all :3

Anyway, i got a new fishie today! I just put the water in the tank and he's sitting in his little betta cup floating in the water. My question is, is it 15 or 20 mins he's supposed to sit in the water before adding him, and if i should wait longer since the water is new or not.
I put water conditioner in the water, and a bit of aquarium salt. Also there is an amazon sword in there. This is my second betta, the first didnt last too long sadly, so if you have any general lesser known tips that would be helpful, let me know please.

Thanks for any help!!
What's the water temp? And for first introductions to a new water, I've heard that slowly putting a little in his cup every 20 minutes or so helps a lot instead of dumping them right in. I don't know if the other fish you have is compatible with a betta or not, but you may have to separate them.

Don't leave the aquarium salt in there all the time, it hurts their labrynth if there is too much all the time and lessens the salt's effectiveness when treating diseases with it.
Pataflafla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:12 AM   #3 
Shimizoki

Pataflafla pretty much has you covered. I just wanted to welcome you and see some pictures of your fish ;)
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:58 AM   #4 
ninjaofthe9seas

I floated his cup in the water for 20 mins. He looked like he really wanted to get out and swim around! He's a lot more active than the first betta i had, so I'm wondering if Henny (first one, my profile pic) was just really old or something. When I had Henny, I only put a little bit of extra salt in with each water change, probably about 5 "grains" because i didnt want to over do it. Henny got sick alot XP Probably inexperience and not knowing what to do. :P

Anyway i dont know what the water temp is atm, I'm going to buy a heater tomorrow. I know to adjust the temp a bit at a time until its the desired temp.

Heres a link to the Facebook album of him
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...5&l=caa6945637
He still doesnt have a name :(

Thanks again :3
ninjaofthe9seas is offline   Reply With Quote