Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-11-2011, 10:47 PM   #1 
Rynasaurus

Fish Barely Comes Up From The Bottom D:

Hi everyone,

I recently made a thread about RJ being bloated, but now it's gotten a lot worse (he's bloating hasn't, but his overall condition has)..he barely comes up from the gravel, usually he just sits on his side..I can see him breathing but he doesn't do much else. The past few days I've been putting in one pellet, and yesterday two; the next day I didn't find any leftovers so I assumed he ate them. Now I'm not so sure, as he still hasn't touched his food from this morning.

So I thought he might not know it's there, so I took his net and got the pellet in there and dragged it over to him, problem is I kinda stabbed him with the net so he flipped and swam away to the other side of the tank, which he really hasn't spent any time in at all the past few days.

I went down the shore last week and when I came back on Friday, that's when he really started to go downhill, it seemed. He does not have any roomates, his 10 gallon tank is heated and he has a filter and it's filled with 3 tsp/gal of Epsom Salt for his bloat. Which reminds me, I didn't see any poop today, not that I usually do, but I saw some the other day which made me think he's getting better.

I just don't know what else to do. I'm scared this is near the end for him, he doesn't do much breathe..I'm sorry for ranting on and on, I'm just really scared and my questions are:

Has this happened to anyone else? Have your fish ever come back from this? What do you think I can do?

PS: I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I put 3tsp/gal of Epsom Salt last week and I wanted to redose it on Friday, so I did a big water change and put new water in and then 3tsp/gal of Epsom Salt.
Rynasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:55 PM   #2 
Rynasaurus

Bump.

Also I went to the local PetsMart today to get frozen Daphnia because I heard that helps. Of course they didn't have it and you can't buy it on the website. I talked to a worker there and I told them my situation with RJ and she said the opposite of what a lot of people on this forum say:

-I shouldn't do water changes, since RJ has a filter.
-RJ might've gulped up too much air, instead of being bloated.
-I should downgrade the size of my tank, because apparently that stresses them out to be in a big tank.

Isn't that odd? Is there any scientific proof or anything whether tank size stresses out fish? Also I'm going back there later this week for a fake plant and maybe Maracyn 2, if you guys think I should get it. RJ is definitely bloated, and maybe his pineconing hasn't begun yet, if he has dropsy. Will it hurt if I treated him for dropsy? Also how often should I be doing water changes and/or putting more Epsom Salt in?

Thanks in advance!(:

Last edited by Rynasaurus; 07-12-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #3 
youlovegnats

If you put him in a 1 gal or less container, it would make it easier to do water changes. Have you been doing daily 100% changes and adding more salt each day? I wouldn't feed him either if he is bloated and not eating.
I hope he gets better! :(
Pictures would help a lot!
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:14 PM   #4 
Rynasaurus

I don't have a 1 gallon, but even if I did..don't they need to be heated, and isn't that hard to do in such a small tank? And no I haven't..I wasn't sure if I was supposed to, nobody tells you these things! Ha. So I guess I'll do a 100% water change now and then add some more Epsom Salt in!

PS: Do you have any answers for my other questions? Could RJ swallowing too much air be possible?

Last edited by Rynasaurus; 07-12-2011 at 09:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #5 
youlovegnats

How about a large cup or a tupperware thing that you could float in the 10 gal? That way, the water would still stay warm and it would be MUCH easier on you for doing 100% changes.
youlovegnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:18 PM   #6 
Tisia

if you have the cup he came in, you can use that to float in his tank, then it keeps it warm and easy to do 100% changes with. otherwise you can use a clean tuperware container, swish some white vinegar around in it then rinse really well if there's any chance of soap residue
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #7 
Rynasaurus

I do have the cup he came in, and with the right amount of water I got it to float..so you're saying that I measure the amount of water that can go in there, put the right amount of Epsom Salt in and then let it float around the tank and change the water everyday?

To be honest I'm scared to, RJ really doesn't like getting in the net and also I'm scared that the cup'll somehow magically hit something and RJ will die somehow..I know, I'm crazy, lol.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #8 
Tisia

easiest way is to get a 1 gallon jug and measure it in there and use that for changes
I usually use rubber bands to hold the container in place, I put one around the container, then wrap another around the first one to lodge under the lid of the tank, some people use big clip type deals to hold it on
Tisia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:07 AM   #9 
Rynasaurus

I found RJ dead exactly 2 hours after my last post. He was a great pet and whenever I used to see him blowing bubble nests in his plants, it made me happy to know he was too. I'll miss him so much. D:

I'm petless now, and even though I have two open tanks..I'm not sure whether I'll get another one. Anyway, thanks for everyone who helped me with RJ and who responded to my posts..

R.I.P RJ, I'll miss you<3
Old 07-13-2011, 02:17 PM   #10 
BettaFins

This is the hard part for people who really care about their pets, no matter how big or small the pet is. We just have to remember that the positive parts of what they give us are worth it.

I hope you'll get another one sometime when you're ready. It sounds like you have a lot to offer to a betta.
BettaFins is offline   Reply With Quote