Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2011, 01:09 AM   #1 
derpmeister

Should I euthanize in this case?

My betta has been suffering from gill flukes over the past few weeks. He was dying from them about two weeks ago so I treated with API General Cure and he made a full recovery, but now the flukes are back. I did another treatment but the flukes are now resistant to the medication and he is still suffering.

He will only eat one or two pellets every other day. He will not move from the floating betta log and only swims up about an inch to grab air, then sinks back into the log.

I think the only reason he has held on so long is because unlike other fish, bettas can get oxygen from the air instead of just their gills. If he wasn't a betta he'd be dead by now due to the flukes destroying his gills. But now I'm worrying it's just making him suffer, and I don't see how he's going to pull through. A bacterial or fungal infection will likely attack him in his weak state, or he will starve to death. I am so afraid of this happening.

I need opinions. Should I euthanize him using a clove oil formula or let nature take it's course? I have only had to put one fish to sleep due to a severe dropsy infection. I love Toki so much and I can't watch him suffer any longer.
derpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:15 AM   #2 
Pitluvs

I have no advice, but I feel for you :( I'm so sorry you're faced with this. I thought the same thing with both my boys who passed. It's hard. Sending my ((hugs)).
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:21 AM   #3 
Sakura8

Do you feel comfortable treating him with a stronger medication such Mardel Clout or Seachem Paraguard? You may need to go to an aquarium store to find these but they may be more effective than General Cure. Otherwise, if you feel Toki is suffering, then you need to do what you feel is best. However, if you think his end may be near and he's not in great distress, you might want to let him die peacefully.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:07 AM   #4 
Shimizoki

I agree with Sakura, and wish hope you find the strength to do whats right, whichever choice you make.
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #5 
derpmeister

Thank you for the support. It's nice to have people who understand rather than just say, "Oh it's just a fish, flush it down the toilet."

I don't think I will have to go through with the euthanasia. I found him on the bottom of the tank this morning on his side and it's obvious that he is going to pass very soon. It's very upsetting but slightly relieving to know that he won't have to suffer any longer.

Unfortunately I can't have any more fish for 4 more years; the college I'm going to in the fall is too far away from my home to bring back my fish during the holidays. :( Usually when one of my fish passes, I disinfect the tank and find another one to distract me from the sadness, but I can't this time.

Sakura, I will remember to try those medications if this ever happens again.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:25 PM   #6 
Pitluvs

I'm so sorry :( ((hugs)) to you and Toki
Pitluvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #7 
ollief9

I'm sorry for your loss in advance!
ollief9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:31 PM   #8 
Shimizoki

Ohhhh dont say that...
Shimizoki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Derpmeister, I'm sorry to hear Toki is on his last fins. :( He's a beautiful guy and I know you gave him the best care. Some things are just beyond our control, no matter how how hard we try and how good of care we give. I hope his passing is swift and painless and I'm also sorry to hear you can't get any more fish for a while.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #10 
derpmeister

Thank you all for your kind words. Toki just swam under the rainbow bridge a few minutes ago. I'm devastated but I know I gave him the best life possible and that he's no longer in any pain.