Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 02:24 AM   #11 
roypattonphoto

i should note, i use no CO2 , and dont plant on it in this tank, also i i have a 12hr on light cycle
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:25 AM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Another thing I have seen someone here do, is mix some blood and bone fertiliser into clay and use these as DIY root tabs. I'm not sure of the exact ratios, but I'm sure a quick google search should turn up something. I think blood and bone is slower release than something like Osmocote.

However, I wouldn't recommend adding terrestrial fertilisers to your tank unless you know what you are doing.

I have found my crypts have really established themselves in one of my temporary tubs. I used propogating sand I picked up for about 5 bucks a bag at the hardware store. It is full of clay and supposedly, micronutrients, and is giving me good growth results with no root tabs used.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 AM   #13 
PewPewPew

Quote:
Originally Posted by roypattonphoto View Post
sorry late chime in ,

i use FloraMax in my planted 10g.... its heavy planted, and seems to have worked wonderfully, ive got all kinds of growth...... and i dont use root tabs, unfortunately no where i could find sold them

for plant food i used FloraPride by Tetra ... once a month,
THATS the name of what I use for iron! Lol!

It didnt do as much for my plants as other ferts have, but its got more iron than most. *shrug* Its pretty much only iron and potash, nothing else.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 02:28 AM   #14 
roypattonphoto

what plants are u using..

i got the 10g Low Light kit from AZGardens...im still amazed my jave ferns are still alive and healthy lol
Old 07-14-2011, 02:33 AM   #15 
PewPewPew

Java ferns, mosses, banana plants, anacharis, another fern I forget the name of, anubias, wisteria, dwarf hairgrass, amazon swords, and other things Im forgetting because Im too lazy to look D:
Old 07-14-2011, 02:37 AM   #16 
roypattonphoto

lol.. i never could keep anacharis alive, it lived for a week, then took a dive... i had a whole forest made up with strings and i think between the warm temp and the betta making them into a salad killed them off...i love my hair grass,

id love to get some banana plants for my non planted tank seeing as i have a large bag of floramax in my closet still i really like the lilly bulbs too, just takes over the top of my tank a bit...
Old 07-14-2011, 02:48 AM   #17 
PewPewPew

So pretty thougghhh!
The banana plants might also give you tank cover issues... and they like soft water (if you have it), which is nice, at least for me :D

I hear you on the anacharis. Its so fickle sometimes.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:00 AM   #18 
Shaon

Umm at this point, this may sound like a pretty ridiculous question but...is there a difference between plant fertilizer (Floramax, Flourish, etc.) and plant food (Florapride)?
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 AM   #19 
roypattonphoto

yes

Fert, will provide up to a certain amount of time, to where as for the longevity and ongoing u need to continue to give them food

edit:

food given once a month or after every water change ....

ive gotten my water quality and changes down close to 2 months on my planted tank due to planted tank awesomeness
Old 07-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #20 
Shaon

Hmm I see. I plan on having a Betta and MAYBE some shrimps in the tank. By the time I get around to having them in the tank, the tank should be cycled (cycling is in progress now)

In such a case, I can't imagine having such few water changes. I was thinking a weekly water change of 30% would suffice. In that case, I guess I give plant food at every water change? I can also limit my fertilizer to once every two or four weeks?

Please let me know if I'm spewing nonsense :P
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote