Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-14-2011, 04:14 AM   #21 
roypattonphoto

fair warning, i had ghost shrimp , thinking the betta would not see them. no such luck .. my betta went on a diet for a few days ....

nah no need for weekly ... if youre running a 10g , Filtered (I suggest a Marineland Bio-Wheel Penguin 100) and baffle it,.. your plants will provide alot of the filtration , and u should be good at 50% once a month ...

what fert are u talking about?
roypattonphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #22 
roypattonphoto

just so we're clear i use ZERO Fertilizer, i have FloraMax Soil, and drop my Plant food in once a month, and once after every water change
Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 AM   #23 
Shaon

By ferts I mean Flourish and/or Potassium by Seachem. How often do I dose the tank with those?

Is there an alternative to a monthly 50% water change? It's a lot of water to change and I don't want to mess up the tank too much. Can I just do smaller changes over a month? I have an Aquaclear 20 filter and it's sponge baffled. I'm worried that the stagnant water surface may lead to more waste in the tank. Just to be safe I plan to do weekly water tests once the tank is cycled just to make sure everything is okay at all times.
Shaon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:30 AM   #24 
roypattonphoto

my plant food, contains iron and potassium in it, i dont have to does extra for it... so i couldnt tell u that, unless u have a special plant that requires extra of something, id not worry about it ....

also, u can do 10% weekly, but at some point, u will need to do a 100% , a 50% a month is perfect as it keeps some nutrients ..

the way i do mine, i do a 100% water change at water change time, does not effect my plants, and my water is treated before going back into the tank and is at near temp of tank water when put into tank... so im not really freaked about disturbing the plants...

yes the still water surface will cause unsightly film, an can cause a smell, as far as waste i dont see foresee a issue.. might cause issue if u have a float plant, i always suggest some sort of surface flow, (reason i have water bottle cut in half and length of out put, cuts down tank current and gives just enough flow on surface
Old 07-14-2011, 04:39 AM   #25 
Shaon

Agh...I always thought a 100% was to be only done in case of an emergency. If I do the monthly 50% do I still have to do the 100%?

I was planning on doing a 70-80% once the cycle was finished and a 20-30% weekly from then on. I have a 15G tank and only intend to keep 1 Betta with maybe some shrimp.

To clarify the fertilizer issue, why use fertilizer if plant food is sufficient? Can I completely replace one with the other? Example, I don't use fertilizer, instead I use plant food or no plant food and use fertilizer instead?

Or is it that I use fertilizer in the beginning when the plants are planted and use them occasionally if the nutrients are lacking in the tank?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:46 AM   #26 
roypattonphoto

nah i wouldnt worry about a 100% if u do 50% monthly , the way i do it, i change my filter about a week before the water change, that way my new filter can get some of the current nutrients and goodies in the water that will help the water change process more easy for the plants to handle (also i suggest doing this on half changes)

Fert Question, if im understanding your question correctly...

when u first put your soil in , u prob put a fertilizer tablet (or root tablets) in your soil right? .... after that, unless u replant u shouldnt have to put those back in there.... your plant food should be sufficient enough for your plants.. now again note, i never used those tablets, no one told me anythign about those until i randomly read something on plantedtank.net
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 AM   #27 
Shaon

Ahh I see! It all makes sense now. Excuse my absent-mindedness. It's 5 in the morning and I haven't slept yet >.>

I planted my tank like 3 days ago and no I did not use any fertilizers. Like you I just read about them randomly lol. I was confusing fertilizers with plant food >.<

Is it too late to add fertilizers if I already planted my tank? Or is it not worth the hassle and I should just feed it plant food?
Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 AM   #28 
roypattonphoto

i wouldnt hassle with it personally, just keep an eye on the plants and watching for discoloration, holes and other anomalies , make sure your water temps are right, ive got all my tanks at 80*F and my bettas love it...

u can push a tab or 2 into the substrate go for it, but i wouldnt worry about it...

im currently researching my next projects...... im either going a 55g planted, or will be making a Mantis Vivarium
Old 07-14-2011, 04:59 AM   #29 
Shaon

Gotcha, thanks for all your help RPP :)
Old 07-14-2011, 05:01 AM   #30 
roypattonphoto

no worries, good luck,

just remember, dont freak out when your shrimp population starts to disappear! lol