Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #11 
ollief9

Quote:
I have personally SEEN these conditions over the years, and can you explain to me why these fish living in such awful conditions live so long without diseases?
That, I have no answer for.

I've calmed down now, lol. My only priority when I log on to the forum is the fish. Sometimes this goes a bit too far, and sometimes I downright rant, but that's just me. I only care about fish when I'm on here.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:16 PM   #12 
fightergirl2710

@ PhilipPhish: I agree that everyone has their own ways of doing things and that also figures in fishkeeping but your post could have been put in a better way.
Maybe it's just me but saying stuff like this
Quote:
We, as fishkeepers at my house, find that all the fancy jazz like water conditioners, is just another way for a company to make money, your fish does not need them!
feels like you're calling us stupid. That you're doing what's right and the rest of us are not. Everyone has different approaches and telling us that we could save money or its just "fancy jazz" makes it look like you're trying to prove your method over everyone else's. It's cool that your fish are doing well with your methods but personally, if I don't put chlorine remover in my water my fish will most definitely die...
Old 07-12-2011, 05:36 PM   #13 
Oldfishlady

There is a difference between water conditioner and dechlorinator....as well as the different locations-country, states...etc....can have different methods of treating tap water...most well water generally doesn't need either dechlorinator or conditioner added to the water......

IMO/E...less chemicals added to the fish the better-but for some....dechlorinator are needed otherwise the treated tap water can be deadly.....

Lots and lots of ways to keep fish...both good and bad....sometimes a person will get lucky and are able to keep a fish much different than others and we should not base our fish keeping methods on their luck when is varies greatly from the norm.....we do however, need to find our own way with some areas of our fish keeping....what work for me may not work for you and vice-versa.........sometimes its a matter of using a little common sense.........logic.......

It is not fair/safe to judge methods between keepers in all cases or blame deaths/problems based on information read...often deaths can be linked back to water or hobbyist error.....

To be a good keeper of fish you must first be a good keeper of water along with a good understanding of the dynamics and science involved in regards to the interactions of water chemistry and fish...lots of things go on in a closed system that many don't know about and/or understand....and quickly place blame on the wrong reason......

Last edited by Oldfishlady; 07-12-2011 at 05:39 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #14 
bahamut285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitluvs View Post
This quote "Thriving not Surviving" is kinda funny... so a fish Thriving for 2 years is healthier than a fish "Surviving" for 5? Nothing Thriving about a fish that has a shorter life span.
IMHO I disagree. I would personally rather live a short, blessed life than a long, horrible one.

I have to agree with ollie's first post (not the angry/rage one) and OFL.

Like a post that was previously deleted in which I had to inform another member, we are all just here to help. While you are entitled to have your views on what you consider proper fish care, don't go parading around the place saying you are the best fish keeper ever because you are successful with uncommon methods.

It is honestly just like you going to a Gay Pride Parade and Parading through the middle of it with Straight Pride. You're going to get thrashed for it by extremists.

While I agree with Pitluv in which I would rather have the most natural tank/chemical-less water I can, it is simply not possible in the majority of countries. There are a few members on here who can't even DRINK their water let alone have a defenceless animal swimming and living in it.

Honestly making a post like this is so pointless, this is seriously a troll thread, congrats, successful troll, now kindly GTFO.

Last edited by bahamut285; 07-12-2011 at 07:56 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:30 PM   #15 
vaygirl

I've seen lots of animals living in filthy conditions, surviving despite their surroundings. It's what they do. It's not how I would keep them though. Not if I had the ability to walk over and clean things up.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #16 
bettafish15

All I can say is that I strongly disagree with Philips fishkeeping. If you dont believe in doing water changes either, are you going to tell us that your fish are fine in their dirty water too?
Old 07-12-2011, 09:01 PM   #17 
PhilipPhish

ok... this is getting...
sorry guys... I was really boared and I have 0 social skills... i'm sorry.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:04 PM   #18 
Neil D

Let's just say we have our own methods, it's just that some work better than others because they are proven by not one person or group, but almost all of the Aquatic Community. Some are less well known, or not as stable throughout the world, so It's interesting it worked for you Philip! But I doubt it would work for everyone. So I suppose whatever works, works.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:05 PM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Wow, what a thread! I agree with OFL, clean water is very important for the health of your fish. Just because someone's fish lived for 5 years in a small container and only had the water changed once in a blue moon doesn't make it right.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #20 
PhilipPhish

BettaFish15: I change my 2 .5 gallon tanks frequently, though Philips 1.5 is changed once a week( usually Wednesday).
Nez and Tigger's tanks are changed every other day. Sunday/Monday, Wednesday, and Friday.
My fish are healthy and happy. I find time to clean tanks, feed fish, and turn on lamps.

I shouldn't post things.. this is what happens when I get board and there's no one in my family who like fish and no one on the forum ever talks to me.

There. OK, I'm done...
Closed Thread